Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #51 
RichardA

I cant wait to get some more wilds in....I have kept simplex, picta, rubra, and mahachai.
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #52 
LittleBettaFish

Rubra are seriously nice. Am actually considering getting a pair to fill the last tank on my rack. I am not usually a fan of mouthbrooding bettas but they look beautiful in the pictures I have seen online.

Am very happy right now. My rutilans pair and juveniles, were nearly killed off by velvet. I had only recently returned to their usual tank, and had separated out what I believed to be the original male/female pair (it is very hard to distinguish between the genders with this species).

Well today I could see what I think was them spawning in their hollow log. Hoping that I am correct and that I get some more fry. They are nearly 2 years old and up until the time they got sick they would still spawn regularly for me.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #53 
GhostFeather

Wilds look really interresting!
I would love to give them a try.
Thanks for the thread!
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #54 
Aus

Thank you all for these wonderful pictures and informative posts.

I am solidly addicted to wilds now, and won't be replacing most of my splendens when they pass (of old age, I hope).

Keep the posts coming! I keep this thread on favourites. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #55 
blueridge

Love all the information on this thread! Keep it up!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #56 
babystarz

So this is kind of funny, I totally forgot that I ordered an extra albimarginata. There are 4 fish, not 3. Realized this today when I saw one fish more than there was supposed to be, I think another female but I'm not 100% sure because this one is darker than the other female, and has a sliver of white on the fin edges, but they're not as distinct as the the ones on the males.

The normal NLS betta pellets are too big for the albimarginata too so I've ordered NLS Growth pellets, they're only .5mm so they will be just the right size for the imbellis and albimarginata. Since they all eat whatever I give them I have decided to supplement the pellets with live food, but this way I know for sure they're all going to be eating the right amount of food.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #57 
LittleBettaFish

Was that you on UB with the question about the NLS pellet size? I am Nereus over on there and only realised that it was you posting.

I find the .5mm pellet size good for the smaller wilds. I only use the 1mm on my bigger unimaculata, ideii and strohi when I had them. Otherwise it is a little big for them to chew on.

I usually feed predominately live/frozen with maybe a serving of pellets once or twice a week for those who eat them. I've found my wild bettas at least, thrive on a mostly live/frozen diet as opposed to my splendens who seemed not to do well when not fed pellets on a regular basis.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #58 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Was that you on UB with the question about the NLS pellet size? I am Nereus over on there and only realised that it was you posting.

I find the .5mm pellet size good for the smaller wilds. I only use the 1mm on my bigger unimaculata, ideii and strohi when I had them. Otherwise it is a little big for them to chew on.

I usually feed predominately live/frozen with maybe a serving of pellets once or twice a week for those who eat them. I've found my wild bettas at least, thrive on a mostly live/frozen diet as opposed to my splendens who seemed not to do well when not fed pellets on a regular basis.
Yep that was me! That sounds like a good feeding schedule. I know in the wild they don't necessarily eat every day, so a consistent diet might not even be good for them digestion-wise. I just want to make sure they're getting enough of all the nutrients they need to thrive, and pellets are a good cheat :P

I wish we weren't heading into winter here in the U.S., Minnesota has a brutal winter climate and no access to mosquito larvae. That would be the easiest live food for me to cultivate! We joke that the mosquito is our state bird here because there are so many of them during the summer. I am stocking up on worms though. And I've got plenty of frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Do they like daphnia at all?

Last edited by babystarz; 10-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #59 
LittleBettaFish

None of my bettas, wild or splendens, have like frozen daphnia. I haven't tried them on live. However, I never really persisted with it so you might as well give it a go.

I feed my wilds frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms, live blackworms (the staple of their diet when I can get them), live whiteworms and live brine shrimp (if I pick a bag up from the LFS). They will occasionally get some NLS pellets but really only my aquarium bred fish that I raised myself will take them. Everyone else looks at me as if I am attempting to poison them.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #60 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
None of my bettas, wild or splendens, have like frozen daphnia. I haven't tried them on live. However, I never really persisted with it so you might as well give it a go.

I feed my wilds frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms, live blackworms (the staple of their diet when I can get them), live whiteworms and live brine shrimp (if I pick a bag up from the LFS). They will occasionally get some NLS pellets but really only my aquarium bred fish that I raised myself will take them. Everyone else looks at me as if I am attempting to poison them.
That's how my smaragdina are XD They don't realize the pellets are food. I'm wondering if they're F1 from wild parents. They came from the same person as the imbellis and albimarginata who both love NLS pellets, but their habits and personalities are much closer to what I would expect of wild fish.

I'll give the daphnia a try and let you know how it goes.