Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #601 
Catie79

Whelp, my jinx continues. I had the lid off while doing maintenance and the male jumped. Unfortunately I have dogs, so I came back to a tank with just one occupant and a smug little dog. Total rookie mistake and I usually know better, but I was just not paying enough attention. Now I'll just wait for the pair Setsuna is conditioning for me and hope that it ends my jinx. I've got a spiffy new ten gallon all set up and running for them.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #602 
efg321

I have at least 20 fry/juveniles in that tank with mum and dad. I thought there was 12 but I counted this morning and they seem to be taking over. Fry definitely grow a lot faster when they are kept in tank with mum and dad. My ones in the grow-outs are nowhere near as big even though I feed them twice a day and do larger water changes.[/quote]

Have two spawns going right now. One in natural planted tank heavy plants gravel bottom... small spawn 30- or less from my Guitar Smaragdina pair. Small spawn/tiny nest ok dad but shy!(maybe a sneaky mom, not sure whether I will pull her) we will see.

2nd spawn Copper Smaragdina(hybrid) in a wild type setup hardscape,leaf litter,bare bottom some plants. Great Dad huge spawn(300+ hope he culls some more) Pulled Mom as she is aggressive and wants to breed again and again. Dad needs a break after his hard work. Dad still in tank w/ younguns...

Wild smard. pair 2 near miss spawns! Good nest from male.First time female blew her eggs while being conditioned/separated. 2nd time Huge nest 3 inches by 4 1/2 inches and up to 3/4 inch thick. eggs ended up on bottom not sure if they were spawning or another near miss from my gal.
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #603 
efg321

Catie 79 sorry for your misfortune....OUCH! hope your luck turns around!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #604 
LittleBettaFish

That really sucks Catie. Wild bettas are buggers for jumping out. I have lost several fish during water changes when the glad wrap has been off for only ten or fifteen minutes and it's only later I find the dried up body.

See efg321, I am glad none of my wilds have spawns with hundreds of fry. I think I would die. I much prefer the 20-50 my pairs generally give me.

Mystery juvenile is growing up. Still on the fence as to whether it is rutilans or brownorum. I have been intending on catching it to put in with my brownorum but I think that will be something I need the time and patience to do.

Mystery juvenile

This is supposed to be a 'full' sibling

This is what I am thinking it may be (Betta brownorum)
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #605 
Setsuna

I might start a planted tank and get a pair of macros. I really want to see how mouth brooders breed in person
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #606 
LittleBettaFish

Macs are nice fish. My pair was just starting to get their full colours and put on some size before their heater boiled them.

I find mouthbrooding really odd. My rutilans male does a combo of mouthbrooding and nesting for some reason.

I think it is probably a good strategy though as you can hold onto your fry and have them come out a little faster and stronger then if they were hanging vulnerable in the nest.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #607 
Catie79

I've got my heart set on a pair of picta or falx for when I make the jump to mouth brooders.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #608 
efg321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
I might start a planted tank and get a pair of macros. I really want to see how mouth brooders breed in person

Setsuna you need a mr aqua 12 gal long rimless tank FOR THOSE macs!!!! SWEET!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #609 
LittleBettaFish

I would say a macrostoma (which is what I am assuming macros are) would need bigger than a Mr Aqua 12 gallon. I have one and they would make that thing look cramped once full grown.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #610 
efg321

I agree its just my new dream tank!