Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #631 
Catie79

I snapped off a couple of pictures with my phone, so hopefully you'll be able to see something.

First, the tank:

One of my new girls saying hi.

One of the ladies hunting.

The male was also hunting.

The male out in the open.

The male and one of the females. Courting behavior already?

Maybe, maybe. He does seem awfully preoccupied with the floating leaves.

I missed the pictures of him and one of the ladies really showing off. He's just stunning when he's flaring, but I'm not encouraging him to do anything more than just get settled into his new home and hunt up some dinner.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #632 
LittleBettaFish

Don't you hate when wilds clamp their fins shut when you are trying to take photos?

What were they hunting? Anything, or just thinking they were? Haha.

Male is showing some nice colour. It's always exciting when you see them hanging up at the surface looking at what could be possible nest sites.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #633 
Catie79

I tossed in some mini scuds (itty bitty amphipods native to the area) to give them something to hunt. The male nabbed one when I dropped them in, but the rest they've had to hunt down. They all lit up when they realized there was food to hunt in the leaves.

I was so mad that they broke off their flirting when I grabbed my cell phone. Both the male and female were on full display. The females are far from dull when they're completely colored up and showing off.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #634 
Setsuna

very beautiful!! make sure you cover the whole tank beause they will jump through the smallest little openings and if the water is still you will surely see a nest because when i conditioned him for you he had a nest build
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #635 
Catie79

I ordered up a brand new versa-top so the tank has a nice, heavy lid with new gaps. Hopefully they won't teleport like some of LBF's fish do. I have my fingers crossed for the morning, since I've only got a sponge filter going in that tank. The male was certainly going 'hubba hubba' when he realized he was in with two girls.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #636 
Wildbetta

Very nice Catie!! It really is amazing when you see the females of the wilds actually show off because they really are just as stunning as the males most of the time.

LBF -- I am really pleased with my fry this week especially the little betta midas fry that has survived in the main tank. I would not be surprised if it was only it and the parents because the seller of the parents told me they didn't eat their fry but the simplex are fry eaters and they share the tank with the midas.

I did run into some upsetting news yesterday. The 2 biggest unimaculata juvies (the ones I had picked out as a pair) were lying dead and bloated almost right next to each other early yesterday afternoon. Totally baffles me as they were perfectly fine the night before and the rest of the tank inhabitants are completely fine. Still have no idea as to what happened to them. Irritates me because I was fixing to sell off the other 5 or 6 juvies since I only really wanted a pair or reverse trio for myself and now that makes it more difficult cause now I have to pick out another female cause I already had another male picked out.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #637 
Wildbetta

mahachai -- my friend lost her female and is currently looking for another. Does anyone who keeps wilds have a lead on any of these?
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #638 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
mahachai -- my friend lost her female and is currently looking for another. Does anyone who keeps wilds have a lead on any of these?
super easy to obtain
Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #639 
LittleBettaFish

This is how aggressive my wild-caught brownorum can be to each other. The flesh coloured areas are injuries.

They spawned today and the male has around 6-8 eggs that he is watching in the film canister. The female is a notorious egg eater, but the male has for once not been letting her back into where the nest is. She looks as angry as a fish can look.

So hoping I can one day get some fry from this pair. Even just a couple would be nice.

(Sorry photos are not great. My glass is dirty and she kept moving around)
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #640 
Setsuna

that dude is a nice red