Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #651 
LittleBettaFish

You mean your mouthbrooders, not your bubblenesters?

I think my albis, channoides strohi and unimaculata held for around 2-3 weeks. I always feel sorry for the mouthbrooders. They always look so pitiful when they are holding.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #652 
Wildbetta

LOL Did I type bubblenesters? Man I am so not with it this evening. Yeah by week 2 or so they get a tired "when will this end?" look to them. I make sure and keep them out of the main tank for a good week and feed twice a day after they release. That way they get nice a fed before the female starts buggin them to spawn again
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #653 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah my channoides female was always up for spawning. She once had two males holding at the same time. It was why I sold them, they were getting worse than guppies!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #654 
Catie79

I pulled out the submissive female in the trio from Setsuna so that the alpha female could have the male all to herself. He's set up camp in the hollow leg in the middle of the tank. That seemed confusing until I realized that it's a completely hollow log and with the top out of the water, there could quite possibly be a perfect nesting site inside. Dark, completely still, and completely surrounded. His lady is currently not welcome inside, but he does come out to visit with her.

I don't know how anyone could see these females as drab. The downside to the possible nest in the log is that I will have no idea if something is going on in there. I probably won't know until there are free swimming fry if it's true. I don't want to move the log or raise the water level and risk destroying a nest. I could probably lower the water level to make it visible through the hole if I get too worried.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #655 
LittleBettaFish

That is sounding promising Catie. But it seems though that they always want to build their nests in the one spot you can't keep eyes on them!

My captive-bred burdigala male was out today courting his female. He is a very hard fish to get a good photo of as he moves around heaps and since he is always having epic battles with his female and daughter his fins aren't as nice as they used to be.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #656 
Setsuna

My Wild Smaragdina pair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxpyruVg1FA
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #657 
LittleBettaFish

Stupid male brownorum ate/let his female eat all the eggs again. Next time I see eggs in that canister I am going to kick his butt out and move it over to a separate container and see if I can't at least hatch a couple eggs out.

At least they are healthy and happy I suppose.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #658 
Catie79

It's official, the male thinks he's a stud. I rather agree.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out what they're up to. The female still looks like a zebra, so I figured they hadn't bred yet. He's really focused on that log, coming out for food or when the female gets too close only. There are several entrances and I saw the female swim in one, only to come rocket out a couple seconds later with the male hot on her tail. I'd love to know if he's built anything in there! I ran my water change as usual today, hopefully I didn't wreck anything.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #659 
Setsuna

he looks great ^^ turn off the lights and shine a flash light on him you will see him as a gem
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #660 
Setsuna

Wild Betta Stiktos from Cambodia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUN-QiaG-bY