Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #671 
Catie79

Eggs! I've got eggs! At least I think that's what the male's up to. he's working hard, moving these little white spheres back up to his bubble nest. He took one blood worm from me, but otherwise couldn't be bothered. He was far too busy. I thought he was just an obsessive nest builder until I saw he scoop something up from a leaf and spit it out at the nest.

So now I'm waiting, fingers crossed, so see if I get some wigglers! I'm leaving the female in place for now since she's leaving him alone and it would be hard to get her out without causing a ruckus. I'll move her out eventually to control spawning.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #672 
Catie79

Oh, question! How does one manage water changes with eggs in the tank? Of course they spawn on a Monday and I do water changes on Tuesdays. It's an established tank with a mess of pennywort to soak up ammonia, but I'm wondering if I should try to sneak in a change before they hatch or if it's better to wait it out.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #673 
LittleBettaFish

Well if the eggs and the male are contained somewhere they won't be disturbed, I usually just do my water changes as normal. I find a lot of males (even first time fathers) do not get too concerned by small water changes if they are used to your presence.

In my experience, my wilds always seem a lot less skittish and defensive of the nest site than my splendens male was. They usually just sit there giving me the stink eye.

I prefer to do water changes while they are eggs and then leave the water changes for a few days when they hatch and become free-swimming.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #674 
Setsuna

Dont do any water change it will be the end of them if you do the best thing is to wait till they are 1 month old theres nothing much you can do at this time. One sudden water change and they will die. Im gladyou have eggs already ^^
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #675 
Catie79

And now there's tails! I thought he'd lost his eggs until I happened to see one of the fry start to move around only to get caught and put back in the nest. Then I refocused and saw all these little tails hanging down! I'm glad I managed to squeak in that water change yesterday since it looks like it will be awhile before I get to do another. I also lowered the water level a bit to help out the new father. He's doing a great job. I'm having to tempt him with blood worms right under his nose to get him to eat, he's just too busy working to bother with eating.

I'm not getting a lot of work done today. I'm just sitting and watching him play doting daddy.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #676 
Catie79

Tails!

I'm surprised my camera could zoom in enough to see them. And here's the proud papa giving me the stink eye for staring at his brood for too long.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #677 
Setsuna

wild bettas has always been very easy to breed. good luck to you and your imbellis ^^
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #678 
efg321

Congrats Catie...Looks like Setsuna's conditioning really paid off! Looks like you got the wild thing going on. Others may disagree but I do a survival of the fittest w/ fry in my "wild" setups. I also do water changes even if a small amount(sponge filter on siphon end) 20-30% every 3-4 days or so especially after heavy feeds of infusoria, micro worms etc. Good Luck and get back to work!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #679 
LittleBettaFish

I am the same. I do 25% water changes every second day and if the fry aren't removed to a separate grow-out I just let whoever is in the tank survive. I have never had a water change kill newborn or newly free-swimming fry, I am just careful to pour the water at the opposite end of the tank.

I find that fry are like cockroaches. For every one you see out and about in the parent tank, there are about ten that you don't haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #680 
efg321

I have a pair of guitar smaragdina that for the first month I never saw I thought they were dead haha. Very shy fish but I guess its the shy one you have to look out for! I think they bred 3 out of last 5 weeks. Never big spawns, he is an ok Dad. last week I caught him blowing two or three babies into a dime size nest in a driftwood overhang??? He just started a new nest dead center in front of tank again, (he might be early this week he is usually a Wednesday night whoppee kind of guy)
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote