Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #681 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I had a pair of burdigala in a 7 gallon tank. They bred a couple times. First time I moved the film canister and young fry over into a grow-out. Got over 20 of them. Then I found more fry in the tank so I decided to remove as many as I could, which totalled about 40. I noticed a couple of stragglers but wasn't really fussed about catching them.

Now everyone is bigger it turns out that there are at least 20 juveniles/fry in the tank still. There are probably more, but haven't done an official count.

The only good thing with these species is that when the juveniles start to colour up the parents usually stop spawning. This gives me at least some breathing space then between growing-out spawns. Plus they have nowhere near as many fry as the splendens complex bubblenesters.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #682 
Catie79

I already pulled the female so they wouldn't get any ideas about upping the total. This is my first attempt at growing out a spawn, so I don't need massive numbers. Right now there's pretty much no food going in the tank, I hand feed the male there's no wasted food, so I'm going to leave the water as is until the fry start getting fed. Then I'll probably start doing water changes. I'm definitely a survival of the fittest follower. They'll be staying with dad in his tank until they get big enough that space is an issue. I've been plotting long term and I think I'll end up keeping an imbellis community again and just plucking out chosen pairs to head to conditioning and spawning when I want a spawn.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #683 
Catie79

I feel like I'm spamming the thread, but oh well. Might be useful for someone else one day.

We're on day four since the eggs were spotted. We've hit free swimming! Or I assume that's why daddy's abandoned the nest and I'm now having to try to spot fry amongst the pennywort. I counted five, so I know they're still alive. They're now mostly horizontal but not really doing a lot. I believe tomorrow starts the infusoria stage. I've got snails, leaf litter, and a lot of pennywort, so I'm planning to leave them to their own devices for a couple more days. I've also been seeding the tank with mini scuds and daphnia for the adults to hunt, so hopefully there are some larvae for the fry in there as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #684 
LittleBettaFish

Good luck with your fry Catie. There are probably a lot more that you can't see. Hopefully you get enough for your community plans.

As an aside, did anyone see that B. palangkayara was actually officially described? It's now known as B. hendra and is an official member of the coccina complex (I don't know why people were convinced it should belong in the foerschi group it looks nothing like one).

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/officia...uarium-fishes/

Good to know now that it is an 'official' species.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #685 
Catie79

Hey Setsuna, did any of your imbellis males mouthbrood? Because this one does! I was in counting fry and thinking numbers were a bit light. The male swam by and casually spat out about six fry. Then one more. I was flabbergasted, I don't remember any of the splendens complex mouthbrooding. He was eating well earlier today so he's obviously not doing it all the time. The fry seemed rather perplexed by the whole business.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #686 
LittleBettaFish

He may just be holding the fry in his mouth. Some of my males that don't mouthbrood are still very mouthy. Mouthbrooding refers to them actually incubating the eggs prior to hatching. If he built a nest and deposited the eggs in that, I would say he wasn't mouthbrooding.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #687 
efg321

I have a dad that I kept in till 3 weeks he was still herding the runts into a small nest. I was feeding bbs and he would gather them and blow into the nest as well.(not sure if he was feeding or OCD nesting was kicking in!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #688 
LittleBettaFish

My extremely naughty Betta palangkaraya/hendra pair. They have been hiding for a week or so now and popped out today to eat the BBS intended for the dozen or so fry in with them.

I am hoping for three or four females and a male out of this pair. Sorry the pictures are so bad. They hate the camera flash and they are pretty skittish at the best of times in their current tank.

Female is obviously the really barred up one. She almost always looks like that.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #689 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
I feel like I'm spamming the thread, but oh well. Might be useful for someone else one day.

We're on day four since the eggs were spotted. We've hit free swimming! Or I assume that's why daddy's abandoned the nest and I'm now having to try to spot fry amongst the pennywort. I counted five, so I know they're still alive. They're now mostly horizontal but not really doing a lot. I believe tomorrow starts the infusoria stage. I've got snails, leaf litter, and a lot of pennywort, so I'm planning to leave them to their own devices for a couple more days. I've also been seeding the tank with mini scuds and daphnia for the adults to hunt, so hopefully there are some larvae for the fry in there as well.
please remove both the mom and dad and just leave the frys in the tank. the parents will eat the frys (some do) dont take a chance take them out its bets even thai breeders do it
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #690 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
Hey Setsuna, did any of your imbellis males mouthbrood? Because this one does! I was in counting fry and thinking numbers were a bit light. The male swam by and casually spat out about six fry. Then one more. I was flabbergasted, I don't remember any of the splendens complex mouthbrooding. He was eating well earlier today so he's obviously not doing it all the time. The fry seemed rather perplexed by the whole business.
i dont think he was mouth brooding but more like gathering the frys back to the nest
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote