Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #691 
LittleBettaFish

.... to save them as a snack for later haha
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #692 
LittleBettaFish

Got some better pictures of my Betta 'hendra' pair. They have to be the least photo friendly of my species. Colouring is stunning though on both the male and female.

Hope I get a more even spread of males/females out of all their offspring than with my other species.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #693 
Setsuna

i think my friend wanted one of those.

but yea my smaragdina pair just spawned theres lots of eggs
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #694 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah, I am pretty sure they are the previously named palangkaraya (or however you spell it) species. Really nice fish.

Congrats on the smaragdina spawn. It blows my mind how many eggs/fry the splendens complex can have at one time haha. My pairs would be practicing abstinence if that is how many they had.

I did just catch these two spawning. Unfortunately, where they are my camera can't focus to get photos of them wrapping.

This was the best out of about 20 attempts.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #695 
Setsuna

these are nice after i keep looking at them lol im getting more interested into mouthbrooders i think i might have to colloect all of mouth brooders one day
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #696 
LittleBettaFish

I got sick of mouthbrooders. It's boring when the male has to hold the eggs for several weeks and first-time fathers can take ages to learn how to hold.

However, the fry are bigger I suppose so that is one plus. It's so weird watching them squirming around in their father's mouth when some of them have hatched but he is still holding them.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #697 
Setsuna

GOTTA CATCH"EM ALL....... GOTTA CATCH TH'EM ALL.......BETTAS! hahaha
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #698 
Wildbetta

Congrats on the spawn Catie!!! How Exciting!

It is awesome to see that the B. Hendra finally got recognition for where it needed to be. Very nice looking pair you have LBF. The colors are awesome!

I personally have not had too big of an issue with my mouthbrooding males having to learn to hold. Out of my 2 pairs of Albimarginata only one of the males had a learning curve for holding fry, the other one has held all but maybe 2 spawns to term. My simplex so far has taken to holding quite well his first two times as well. I think certain species might have issues (like Macrostoma) but so far mine have been very on top of things with learning to hold fry.

At the moment I am currently being over run with alibi and simplex fry. LOL Pretty funny actually. I will be receiving a trip of Betta Picta tomorrow and the male was holding when my friend sent them so I might have a holding male there as well.

At the moment I have decided to stick with the smaller mouthbrooders. I am in the process of trying to rehome my WC proven pair of Betta Midas since they are a bigger species and not what I want to continue with and the unimac juvies....I sold 4/7 on Aquabid (was going to keep a reverse trio for myself) and then had 2 suicide jump before I shipped the 4 to the buyer so I just went ahead and sent the buyer 5. So I no longer have any unimacs. One of these days I might get back into the larger mouthbrooders again but not right now.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #699 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah most of my males have been good fathers. My channoides male held while being chased around with a net and then moved to a different tank, and my rutilans male (he counts because he mouthbroods) held when I thought he had gotten out and I stripped down their entire tank haha.

Only male I have had problems with is my strohi, but they were doing renovations in the room he was living in with lots of banging, movement and power tool usage so I think he got stressed and swallowed both times. I found a buyer for that pair though, so will only have my unimaculata once they get picked up. I don't particularly want unimaculata but they are my mum's, and the plan (for me) is that they will not be replaced when they pass.

It's such a space thing when you have the bigger mouthbrooders. Not only do you need a decent size tank to house the breeding pairs, but also even bigger tanks to grow their fry out. I much prefer my clarets. A 10 gallon tank is perfect for a group of these fish.

I have a lot of B. hendra fry at the moment. The parents were really prolific but have since stopped since I took away their film canister and they have some bigger fry in with them.

I put this photo in my journal as well, but I like how it just captures the true spirit of bettas. Squabbling over a pile of blackworms. Male is not happy (right) that female is guarding them.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #700 
Janan

Those eyes look FIERCE! lol
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote