Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #801 
LittleBettaFish

I rarely get pictures of my pairs spawning. They are very secretive and either use their film canister right at the back of the tank or do it in a hollow log.

Only one pair of mine lets me take photos while they are spawning. The father is really tolerant because I am always accidentally pouring all his eggs and fry out of the film canisters when I do water changes.

I'm trying to determine whether this is a female or not. I am leaning towards it being female based on the colour and ventrals, but then again it could be an immature male.

LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #802 
LittleBettaFish

Uberis fry are sprouting. Unfortunately they all look like they are going to turn out male! I hope I get a few females to pair up and sell otherwise I don't know how I am going to get rid of them all.

They are so cute though. One has his full adult colouration including a little side spot even though it's only about 3/4s of an inch.

I would ideally like a rack specifically for my grow-outs and juvenile pairs being grown out for sale, but that's only really going to happen in my dreams at the moment haha.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #803 
Setsuna

that one looks very good
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #804 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah of course as soon as I get my camera out and turn the light on everyone hides in the moss and stripes up. They are on the bottom shelf of my rack so I think they get so used to seeing feet and legs rather than people's faces.

Just spent a few hours sorting some of my tanks out. The leaf litter had broken down in a couple of tanks so had to replace that. Always nice and stinky.

I added peat moss as substrate in one of my grow-outs with four juveniles and had to laugh, because the biggest male has coloured right up and is displaying for his two sisters.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #805 
LittleBettaFish

Here's a couple photos of my hendra female. I don't know why she clamps up like that. I originally thought there was something wrong, but she spawned yesterday with my male and this morning she had all her fins unclamped and was in full colour.

I think it's because her juveniles have started to get bigger. With this group of species, I have noticed that if you keep the juveniles in with the parents, the parents become much more withdrawn and usually stop spawning. The same thing has happened with my original burdigala pair and my rutilans were the same. It's kind of odd.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #806 
Setsuna

thats a neat tank color and deco
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #807 
LittleBettaFish

Haha thanks. They were supposed to be living in a 30cm cube to match the other tanks on that shelf but then they spawned (before this current one) and I wanted to wait until the fry were bigger so I could find them.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #808 
LittleBettaFish

Well the hendra nest got raided by all the juveniles in the tank. At least they got a good meal out of it.

However, got some photos of my hendra juveniles in my separate grow-out. I think these are all hendra, although I might have accidentally shot pictures of my burdigala juveniles as well.

These guys are probably smaller than they should be because I was rather neglectful of their care. However, since I upped the water changes and food I have noticed they seem to be picking up.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #809 
efg321

I noticed too late my smaragdina female was pretty eggy and sure enough the male was blowing babies into the duckweed. Yes the juvies in there all look pretty fat about now! That is one of the "what will be" kind of tanks we shall see!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #810 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I am just going to leave any fry born in my tanks now to their own devices. Only ones I would remove would be if I could manage to get a small clutch of brownorum eggs before the female eats them.

I find usually the ones that will kill off newborn fry are cannibalistic older siblings. One of my rutilans juveniles would go and raid the nest as soon as the fry became free-swimming.