Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #811 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In the Aquabid "wild-type" section, who's this Glaswegian named Strathclyde, the importer/breeder from Scotland, with all the amazing, beautiful wild-types, many of which I've never heard of?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #812 
LittleBettaFish

I have seen their posts on AB currently and in the past, but I don't know who they are. I do have to say, their photograph of the rubra they used/took is not very flattering haha.

In other news, I decided to cull out the 20 odd fry that had contracted quite severe ich. I simply didn't have the energy to deal with it, and I have more than enough replacements for that species in other tanks that I would rather just get rid of the infected fish than risk it spreading further. My other infected tanks seem to be on the road to recovery.

This is the last time I am going to use grow-outs for my fry. I think it's better for them if I just leave them in the tank and only the strongest fry survive through to adulthood.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #813 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sorry you had to do that, LBF.

Just wanted to share an aquabid auction on macrostomas-
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...tas&1371262925

175$ is a lot but for eight macs not very much at all... And the seller is already in USA so no transhipping.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #814 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah looks like they are not sexed which is probably why they are cheaper. You have to take the risk in growing them out and seeing if you get any pairs.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #815 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

When you have eight though, the chances are very high that you will get at least one pair.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #816 
LittleBettaFish

Haha don't be too sure. I saw a person on another forum who ended up with all females or males (one of the two) from a quite large group of fish.

My mum wants a pair of macrostoma again but honestly I would be happy not to replace our original pair. I would hate if they spawned as I can't be bothered growing out fish that have the potential to get so big. It was bad enough with my unimaculata and they are midgets compared to the macrostoma.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #817 
Wildbetta

Actually I would think the unimaculatas would be bigger than the macs. My ocellata was a good bit bigger than my macs and a friend of mine has a big male mac who is smaller than her unimac females. I do understand the difference though in size from your coccina complex and the unimaculata complex. LOL Sorry to hear that you had to cull because of illness. :(
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #818 
LittleBettaFish

Nah all of the unimaculata I have owned, have always been smaller than the pair of macrostoma I had and other macrostoma I have seen in person.

I don't think macs are the biggest from that complex, so your ocellata may have been bigger on on par with them in size.

I think ideii is one of the biggest. My pair of ideii were like giants. They dwarfed my unimaculata and my macrostoma. They were also savage. I had to keep the female separated for months before the male would tolerate her presence without trying to murder her.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #819 
Wildbetta

Done waterchanges yesterday and let my second male simplex out of his recuperation breeder box back into the main tank at the same time. Got a couple of nice shots of the two males squaring off for dominance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=581g9ORvscc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYAVVYJTmk0

My nutso khuli loaches did some video bombing in the second video. LOL
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #820 
LittleBettaFish

Nice videos. It's always amazing how much the wilds (particularly some of the 'blander' species) can colour up when they are fighting or spawning.

My hendra/burdigala juveniles are doing miles better than they were. I think the daily water changes and me pushing the food into them has really helped. I don't see anyone flashing or scratching nowadays and they are starting to recognise me.

Most are quite small, but there are a handful that are nearly at a size enough to spawn.

Hendra juvenile

Same juvenile as above

Burdigala, most likely male due to colouration

Burdigala, possible female from what I can see of the ventrals

Burdigala chasing what I think is a hendra

Burdigala, most probably male