Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #841 
LittleBettaFish

Great guides Setsuna. I linked to a couple of your other ones on another forum because someone thought that they had a pair of imbellis and yours are seriously the best guides I have seen in regards to determining the purity of splendens complex species.

Speaking of splendens complex species, my stiktos pair have really settled in well. I let the female out of the breeders box yesterday for a bit of an explore and now the male is alternating his time between working on a quite pathetic bubblenest and showing off to her haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #842 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Great guides Setsuna. I linked to a couple of your other ones on another forum because someone thought that they had a pair of imbellis and yours are seriously the best guides I have seen in regards to determining the purity of splendens complex species.

Speaking of splendens complex species, my stiktos pair have really settled in well. I let the female out of the breeders box yesterday for a bit of an explore and now the male is alternating his time between working on a quite pathetic bubblenest and showing off to her haha.
Hahaha give him time im sure he'll make it better i have seen some big and some small but it still holds eggs inplace so you'll be good
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #843 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Awesome guide setsuna.
Thanks matt. These was made by me because alot of people ask me how to tell species from species over and over again so i just had to make it. I think this will benefit alot of people
Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #844 
Setsuna

Copper Smaragdina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxlYZWi5uk
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #845 
LittleBettaFish

They look really nice. You definitely have the touch when it comes to this complex.

My stiktos pair are doing really well. Male has built a massive nest under an IAL and the female is out of her breeders box currently barred right up and alternating between being chased and doing the chasing.

The male is such an odd fish though. He likes to sit in a film canister I have floating around and yesterday it had floated up against the side of the glass so the entrance was blocked. So instead he just kept running into the back end of it trying to work out how come he couldn't get in. I had to turn it around and so he is happier now. He likes to sit in it and keep watch over his nest.

I tried to get some photos yesterday, but of course they all swim off when they see my camera!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #846 
babystarz

Oh hey guys, fancy seeing you all here :P My life has been crazy for the last 6 months, I won't bore you with the details, but I bought a condo and I'm moving on July 30th! It will be a crazy undertaking to figure out the fish situation.

I ended up with some major health issues for a while and paid someone to look after my fish. Someone who knows nothing about fish :( Amazingly, after ~2 months without food, NONE of the ocellata babies died. They are severely undersized for their age, they should be adult sized and they barely look like juveniles. They are finally putting on some growth, but I'm afraid they've been stunted permanently and will never reach normal adult size. I feel so guilty for leaving them to someone who didn't take care of them at all I love them dearly though, and aside from their size they are all extremely healthy and energetic. Even the runts have managed to thrive lately, and the size differences between the fish are becoming less apparent. Today I was finally able to move the biggest guy (I think he's a male) to the parent tank. The adults totally ignored him XD They're such gentle fish. I don't know if anyone is interested in tiny stunted fish, but they're old enough and healthy enough to ship now. I would only charge the price of shipping, nothing else. I'm really more concerned about them being taken care of than money. I have no idea how big they will get, so I would prefer that anyone who gets one plan for a fully sized adult, just in case that happens someday.

I have not raised another spawn, the males have had eggs a few times but I just didn't have the time/energy to take care of newborn fry so if any hatched they quickly died. Now that I have the condo, I'm planning to buy a 40 gallon breeder tank for the adults. They are fine in the 20 gallon long tank as they have never been apart from each other, but realistically 4 of these fish should have 10 gallons each to themselves. They need more space to explore.

I ended up giving away my albimarginata, smaragdina and imbellis when I realized what had happened with the fish sitter. I was worried that if something else came up, I would have too many fish to care for and didn't want to risk trusting someone else again. I have my male patoti still, I believe he killed the female while I was away. I do not think this is a particularly aggressive species, he's just a very territorial fish. He is clearly not suited to live with other fish, so I'm not sure what I will end up doing with him. He has a 20 gallon to himself right now so I might just set up a new one for him at the condo to live out his life in solitude.

I am really looking forward to getting back into the forums now that I have a normal full time job instead of two crazy 38 hour jobs. I'm even making more money now!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #847 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How do you sex smaragdina?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #848 
LittleBettaFish

Same sort of way you sex splendens. Females are usually a different shape, have smaller fins and less iridescence/colouring. It is harder if they are stressed out or young as then the differences are less obvious.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #849 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The thing is, they are stressed out. I was in the lfs yesterday and their colours were all washed out.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #850 
LittleBettaFish

Haha, thought as much. You would probably have to spend a bit of time watching them and see if you can't pick out any obvious males/females. I hate picking wilds from fish store tanks unless they are being housed in pairs or I don't really care what genders I end up with.