Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #881 
SomeBettaGuy

Desert Goby

Name:  desert goby.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  39.0 KB

Last edited by SomeBettaGuy; 08-15-2013 at 04:41 AM.
SomeBettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #882 
SomeBettaGuy

Never mind haha
Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #883 
babystarz

One of my male ocellata is holding today :) It's a little surprising considering they're still stuck in a 20gal with 10 juveniles (temporarily) but these guys really don't get stressed about space easily. One of the females is still very eggy so I won't be surprised if the other male is holding within the next few days too. I definitely need to get the other tanks done this weekend! And I need to order more bbs eggs and get that whole setup going. And some microworms, although my track record with them is terrible. I always forget to feed microworms between spawns lol.

Skyewillow, I might be interested in some of your MTS, I'll let you know!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #884 
babystarz

PS does anyone have experience with betta pugnax? I know they get big. How large a tank will I need to comfortably house 5-6? Would a 70 gallon work? Or should I split them into two 50's?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #885 
SomeBettaGuy

Hi there babystarz, I've read some of the past post and notice you're really good with betta ocelleta since they're breeding for you all the time!

Also I am considering getting fish from Wet Spot in the near future and want to hear from you since you have experience from there.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #886 
Wildbetta

Man it has been a while since I posted on here. I have dealt with some setbacks within the last couple of months but finally feel like I am back on track.

Had the first outbreak of ICH in my simplex/midas fry tank which killed somewhere close to 100 fry after everything was said and done leaving me with about 25 fry that I did successfully grow out to juvies that recently went to a new home. :/ Very disappointing. Then my new batch of week old albi fry (in a totally separate tank) gets ICH. :/ Very annoying to say the least. Both times I treated with very high heat and salt which cleared it up quite quickly but I lost about 1/2 of the albi fry. Lost all my first batch of picta fry when I left them in the net breeder in the parent tank. No matter how much I fed, they just didn't seem to get enough to eat and they wasted away. I sent one of my female simplex to a friend since I had 2 pair and she had recently lost her female. I separated out one of my males since my remaining female starting acting extremely stressed after the other female was gone. Ended up losing that male for unknown causes. My remaining pair is still not completely back to normal and don't seem comfortable with each other. So not sure what I plan to do with them.

Good news is that after about a 2 month or so hiatus, my albis are back to spawning. I have about 50 fry some as old as a month old (ones that survived the ICH) and both males are on their second week of holding. I have a second batch of picta fry that are growing out in a separate growout and the male is releasing the next batch into the main tank right now. So I am getting another pair of betta ocellata - were the first wild I kept and glad to be getting another chance at them and really want to get some betta channoides or betta falx to work with as well.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #887 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBettaGuy View Post
Hi there babystarz, I've read some of the past post and notice you're really good with betta ocelleta since they're breeding for you all the time!

Also I am considering getting fish from Wet Spot in the near future and want to hear from you since you have experience from there.
Hey yes, I've really gotten into the mouthbrooding species. If you are interested in them, most of them are pretty beginner-friendly. Betta albimarginata or betta channoids are popular because they are small, you can keep a pair happy in a 10 gallon easily. If you do like the bigger varieties, betta ocellata or similar unimaculata complex fish are also easy to keep. All the species I've mentioned do well in a variety of water hardness conditions and they aren't quite as sensitive as some of the coccina complex species when it comes to hardness and pH. I have kept mine in natural planted tanks and bare glass bottom tanks, with lots of plants and leaf litter and they seem to thrive in all of those setups. As with all species of betta, they are prone to jumping when they get excited so it's very important to have a tight-fitting lid with any spaces covered up. And keep a pillowcase handy for anyone who jumps out during feeding time, that seems to be the most drama-free way I've found to scoop them up and put them back in the tank. I've never had any injuries happen to my wild species when they do this, and they don't do it very often. Generally it's brought on by them being really excited over special treats (bloodworms especially).

The Wetspot is fantastic, I highly reccommend them, they do an excellent job packaging their fish for shipping, better than 95% of the other people I've ordered from. They have excellent customer service too. Their fish are healthy and their experts know a lot about them. I've always dealt with Anthony in particular and he's just lovely. Their prices are reasonable but sometimes it's possible to get an even better deal from an individual hobbyist, so do shop around.

I would definitely recommend getting at least an F1 generation, meaning the fish were born in captivity and are used to humans and eating pellets. My experiences with wild-caught fish have shown me that at least for the larger mouthbrooders, they are not for beginners. They are more easily spooked than their captive-bred counterparts.

Last edited by babystarz; 08-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #888 
SomeBettaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
Man it has been a while since I posted on here. I have dealt with some setbacks within the last couple of months but finally feel like I am back on track.

Had the first outbreak of ICH in my simplex/midas fry tank which killed somewhere close to 100 fry after everything was said and done leaving me with about 25 fry that I did successfully grow out to juvies that recently went to a new home. :/ Very disappointing. Then my new batch of week old albi fry (in a totally separate tank) gets ICH. :/ Very annoying to say the least. Both times I treated with very high heat and salt which cleared it up quite quickly but I lost about 1/2 of the albi fry. Lost all my first batch of picta fry when I left them in the net breeder in the parent tank. No matter how much I fed, they just didn't seem to get enough to eat and they wasted away. I sent one of my female simplex to a friend since I had 2 pair and she had recently lost her female. I separated out one of my males since my remaining female starting acting extremely stressed after the other female was gone. Ended up losing that male for unknown causes. My remaining pair is still not completely back to normal and don't seem comfortable with each other. So not sure what I plan to do with them.

Good news is that after about a 2 month or so hiatus, my albis are back to spawning. I have about 50 fry some as old as a month old (ones that survived the ICH) and both males are on their second week of holding. I have a second batch of picta fry that are growing out in a separate growout and the male is releasing the next batch into the main tank right now. So I am getting another pair of betta ocellata - were the first wild I kept and glad to be getting another chance at them and really want to get some betta channoides or betta falx to work with as well.
Wow sorry to hear about your recent problems with your wilds, but it sound like everything is getting back on track! I learned from a betta breeding farm that keeping the frys in with the parents for some reason helps prevent diseases, not sure why though.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #889 
LittleBettaFish

Ugh, I had to cull like 100 of my juveniles/sub-adults because of this resistant strain of ich that would not die. I tried every treatment I could and they were infected for months and finally I just made the decision to cull because they were becoming emaciated and getting open sores from scratching.

Bloody sucks to have something like that happen. It nearly put me off wilds permanently, but I have made the decision to continue keeping and breeding them.

Hopefully your string of bad luck is over. Sometimes it feels like everything goes wrong all at once and it can be hard to battle through.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #890 
LittleBettaFish

Got some photos of my unimaculata tank now I added in my new moss. This isn't how it is going to stay, but I just wanted to give some cover to my male as I am pretty sure he is still holding.

Female bred and raised by me.

Then here is my 60cm/2ft burdigala tank. All my burdigala now live in there. I moved them over yesterday and so the whole layout is just temporary.

This female and her male are my favourite. They are my original wild-caught pair and she is such a friendly and beautiful little fish. I think eventually they might get their own tank again.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote