Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #891 
SomeBettaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Got some photos of my unimaculata tank now I added in my new moss. This isn't how it is going to stay, but I just wanted to give some cover to my male as I am pretty sure he is still holding.

Female bred and raised by me.

Then here is my 60cm/2ft burdigala tank. All my burdigala now live in there. I moved them over yesterday and so the whole layout is just temporary.

This female and her male are my favourite. They are my original wild-caught pair and she is such a friendly and beautiful little fish. I think eventually they might get their own tank again.

You always take really good pictures of your fish I find that very impressive considering how wild bettas seem very skittish. Also I'm glad you didn't give up keeping wild bettas because you're probably one of the most knowledgeable people on keeping wilds!
SomeBettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #892 
LittleBettaFish

Well my unimaculata male stopped holding haha. He was eating white worms with his daughter this afternoon. I don't mind. As long as they are happy and healthy that's all that matters.

My wilds are sort of used to me blinding them with the flash of my camera. Mine are all pretty tame since I have either reared them myself or had them for several months right up to a couple of years. Plus I always take photos after I have put some food in so they are too fat to get away.

I now have two empty 30cm tanks. Hmm...thinking about what species I should get to fill them. Maybe hendra because I had to cull all my juveniles, or maybe standard rutilans because I only have a male of that species.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #893 
SomeBettaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Well my unimaculata male stopped holding haha. He was eating white worms with his daughter this afternoon. I don't mind. As long as they are happy and healthy that's all that matters.

My wilds are sort of used to me blinding them with the flash of my camera. Mine are all pretty tame since I have either reared them myself or had them for several months right up to a couple of years. Plus I always take photos after I have put some food in so they are too fat to get away.

I now have two empty 30cm tanks. Hmm...thinking about what species I should get to fill them. Maybe hendra because I had to cull all my juveniles, or maybe standard rutilans because I only have a male of that species.

What do you think about keeping killifish in with wild bettas? I've read up some info and some killi's are pretty peaceful, and I was thinking of keeping in a planted tank. Very interested in the fundulopanchax gardneri killifish
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #894 
LittleBettaFish

I probably wouldn't. My unimaculata pair were happy to live with my Chromaphyosemion poliaki female because she was very bland. But when I tried to put my male australe in just for a few days, they attacked him constantly so I had to remove him.

My channoides/albimarginata were very docile, and I did keep the latter with clown killifish and some smaller natives without any sign of aggression.

However, bettas can be so unpredictable and killifish are so boisterous and colourful that it may either cause your wilds stress or cause them to attack. Gardneri are pretty full-on so you would need to find a species of wild betta that wouldn't mind some erratic tankmates.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #895 
SomeBettaGuy

Ha yeah, thanks for the advice LBF, but just the idea of two of the most colorful and interesting fish like bettas and killifish in the same just seems awesome! Do you think a heavy planted tank would help since the fish can all hide and explore? And would you said gardneri killi as more of a top layer fish and most wild bettas are mid to bottom most of the time?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #896 
babystarz

My less timid wilds actually do like to spend time up top. I think this idea will come down to finding individual fish that are very peaceful. LBF's unimaculata are the most similar species to my ocellata, but while hers don't like flashy tankmates, mine could hardly care less. They treat smaller fish with indifference as long as they're not being harrassed. But my patoti, who were from the same complex, couldn't get along with ANY other fish and my female was eventually killed by my male. After that I had to keep the male in his own tank, by himself. My point being that the species does not predict the personality. Fish that have always been kept with others in the past seem to do better with tankmates in my experience, and I will not try to put a fish that has been isolated before with tankmates because they just can't adapt. They aren't social enough anymore and they view other fish as a territorial threat, even if in nature they have a reputation for getting along well with others.

You'll need to be prepared to keep them in separate tanks if they don't get along. Also keep in mind that usually when a tankmate massacre happens, it's when you're not around.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #897 
SomeBettaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
My less timid wilds actually do like to spend time up top. I think this idea will come down to finding individual fish that are very peaceful. LBF's unimaculata are the most similar species to my ocellata, but while hers don't like flashy tankmates, mine could hardly care less. They treat smaller fish with indifference as long as they're not being harrassed. But my patoti, who were from the same complex, couldn't get along with ANY other fish and my female was eventually killed by my male. After that I had to keep the male in his own tank, by himself. My point being that the species does not predict the personality. Fish that have always been kept with others in the past seem to do better with tankmates in my experience, and I will not try to put a fish that has been isolated before with tankmates because they just can't adapt. They aren't social enough anymore and they view other fish as a territorial threat, even if in nature they have a reputation for getting along well with others.

You'll need to be prepared to keep them in separate tanks if they don't get along. Also keep in mind that usually when a tankmate massacre happens, it's when you're not around.

Very good point babystarz each fish has their own personality and unpredictability, so assuming from a particular species would be unreliable. Yeah I notice that fish that are use to a large community will be more peaceful towards tank mates, I heard of betta splendens being able to be kept together if raised together since frys, granted they still chase and flare but nothing deadly. Same thing with males of wild bettas from the splendens complex, male imbellis from the same spawn can peacefully live together but once separated and jarred they become fighters and will fight any betta they see.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #898 
Setsuna

My Latest videos

Smaragdina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGTK_N9AHk

Siamorientalis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Um37JFnl0
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #899 
Skyewillow

My Mahachais! Sorry for the grainy quality, I am literally using my cell phone as extra lighting and a webcam for these photos, the flash really bothers the female.

Kafae (female)

Kheiyw (male)

He's still a little stripey, and he was also excited because he thought I had food.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #900 
SomeBettaGuy

What's the best pellet foods for wild betta? I know feeding live and frozen is good, but I don't want to feed that all the time because sometimes it is hard to get or is a little more expensive than regular fish food. Thanks