Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #931 
dramaqueen
Banned

I didn't realize so many members had wild bettas. This is a very useful and informative thread.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #932 
LittleBettaFish

I think more members have them now than when the thread was started. It is good to see them becoming more popular.

Hm, I can't tell if my stiktos female is trying to spawn with my male again or is thinking of eating the fry he is tending to. She was showing vertical barring and a prominent eggspot so I'm not really sure. It's just annoying she is so skittish because I can't separate her without disturbing the male and the nesting site.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #933 
LittleBettaFish

Stiktos male with his fry. He also has eggs in there as well as he spawned with the female today.

This male has fatherly instincts up the whazoo. Hope his very hard work pays off for him.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #934 
Wildbetta

Glad to see your stiktos being such a good daddy and cohabitating nicely so far.

So far my bad luck streak has ended at least for the moment. So I feel like I am back on track.
So since my last update, my two male albimarginatas released into a planted "empty" 10 gallon tank. This was the first time I have kept any fry in a tank that was not "bare" so it basically was a test to see how the fry fare. I put the males back in the main tank about 2 weeks ago when I added a new male. Making my numbers 3M/2F F1 betta alibmarginatas for my breeding group. At this moment, I have my dominant male holding for about a week or so. I recently separated him into a breeding box for him to relax from the other males until he releases. I am hoping to see some spawning action from one of the other males soon.

Picta male has held another spawn since my last post and I just moved them to the growout tank the other day. I guess I have about 40 tiny fry right now. The last batch that he released in the main tank all got eaten which is not such a bad thing since it gave me a break for one spawn. That was just enough time to get the older picta juvies off to their new home which opened the growout up for the new fry.

The simplex pair I had never really got comfortable with each other again. I sent them to a friend that has another pair to see if they would work out better being in a group setting again.

I have gotten a pair of betta ocellata from my close friend which are siblings to the trio I had previously. They are very large but are like puppy dogs. LOVE these guys. The male was holding when my friend shipped him and he was still holding when I received him which was really cool. He proceeded to release a load of fry in the shipping bag while I was temp acclimating him to the tank. Once I separated them from him, I ended up with at the very least 120 fry. Was not expecting something like that. I put them in the 10 gallon that has the two spawns of albimarginata fry in there already (although I have only seen 2 at any given time). The male spawned again with the female within 3 days of being in the tank which he ended up swallowing. (thankfully LOL). He is currently holding for about a week now. I have put him in the breeding net at the moment to release when the time comes. The pair is bonded so the female is really ticked at me right now and gives me evil looks whenever I come to the tank.

The last of my new news is I have acquired a juvie male betta simorum. Very interesting big bubblenester. He is my first bubblenester so this will be interesting once I get him a lady.

I will post some pics a bit later since I have made this post SO long already trying to get caught up.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #935 
Wildbetta

Ok so earlier I promised pics so I am going to pic/video spam for a little bit. :D

Video of the Betta Ocellata tank
http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/np...d6f9f.mp4.html

Video of the Betta Albimarginata tank
http://youtu.be/4aZ4F-0c-is

Ocellata Fry
http://youtu.be/c4b-6cZkQ1s

Male Ocellata holding

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2 week old Ocellata fry

Betta Simorum

My dominant male albi and the newest male deciding who is boss

My 3rd and smallest male albi

Albi fry/juvies (never know when to change over)

Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #936 
Skyewillow

I so love the colors on your Albis!

I just bothered all of my FB friends with a huge post about Mahachai habitat destruction. ugh, somewhat depressing.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #937 
LittleBettaFish

Looks like your ocellata male has quite the mouthful. Funny you mention about your pair being bonded. My unimaculata pair seem very attached to each other. The female is like the male's shadow and I always see them together. Your ocellata needs to come give my unimaculata male lessons on how to be a good mouthbrooder.

Here's my fish rack set-up as it currently stands. Top shelf houses my persephone, rutilans sp. cf. green and uberis. The second shelf houses my stiktos and spare males, and my bottom shelf houses my main burdigala group, my unimaculata and four more burdigala sub-adults.

I am hoping to get a pair of hendra for one of the empty tanks on the second shelf and a pair/trio/group of something like coccina or brownorum for the other.

I also want to get three 90cm lights to run over each shelf so I can grow more plants.

Also it's sad about the habitat destruction of many of these species. I believe my persephone are critically endangered and found in only a couple of localities. It's salt pans that have taken over much of the mahachai habitat isn't it?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #938 
Skyewillow

that, filling in the swamps for factories, guppies, and I can't remember the name of the plant that has invaded and is causing issues in that habitat.

I posted the status and image that went with it over on my journal.

I really like the persephone, I wonder how hard they are to hunt down over here...
Old 09-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #939 
LittleBettaFish

I know a woman called Amelia has persephone (she's on the IBC SMP Facebook page). She did sell a reverse trio so not sure if she still has any others for sale. Maybe just males.

My persephone males are being very naughty and so I may have to sell a few on. Unfortunately it seems like no one ever has any interest in purchasing wilds unless you offer them a breeding pair.

I think one of their localities got a highway put through it.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #940 
Skyewillow

Can you PM the page link to me, please? I can't seem to find it.

that really sucks that they put a stupid highway through their habitat!!