Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #951 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
Babystars -- I have kept pugnax before. I kept a group of 11 from early juvie age until almost breeding age before I had to rehome the majority of the juvies since I did not have the space to keep them. My remaining pair I never did get a chance to breed them though before I lost them in a heater malfunction along with my mac pair and a single female ocellata. In my experience they were beautiful fish but bullies. They were probably the worst to pick on each other of all my mouthbrooding bettas. Since they do get so large and they are bullies I think a tank the size of the one you are going to have for them will be excellent. Any other fish put in with them should be able to defend itself accordingly. BN plecos are good. Otos and farowella "twig cats" are not considering how docile natured they are. Just like all wilds they are big jumpers and since they are large fish, they can jump quite a distance very easily.
Good luck with your ocellatas. I love that species! Be aware that the spawns can be quite large which I didn't know until this male released when I received him. The spawn gave me at least 120 fry. Kinda hope he doesn't have that many every time he spawns. LOL
Thanks for the info! The batch of pugs I'm getting have lived together their whole lives, and the tank will be a heavily planted (well, eventually) NPT with lots of added hiding spots and nooks and crannies. So everyone should be able to escape and hide as needed. I do not plan to have any other fish species in the tank, I figure I'd rather not terrorize any poor tankmates. The seller warned me about them being jumpy when they get excited, but I'm used to rescuing jumpers. I've got that down to a science XD The tank will have its own hinged glass cover but I will be taping the back anywhere there's a space for cords coming out, that has worked well in the past.

And WOW to your ocellata spawn My males are still quite young (they will be a year old in December) so I think that's probably why I haven't had a huge spawn yet.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #952 
Wildbetta

Yeah that sounds like a great plan. LOL They did have some really cool personalities though so they are fun to watch even though they are bullies.

I believe that the ocellatas I have are around 2 yr old which may be why they had such a large spawn. :/

How are your albis doing? Or do you still have them?
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #953 
babystarz

Quote:
Yeah that sounds like a great plan. LOL They did have some really cool personalities though so they are fun to watch even though they are bullies.

I believe that the ocellatas I have are around 2 yr old which may be why they had such a large spawn. :/

How are your albis doing? Or do you still have them?
Nope. One of the females died suddenly about 6 months after I got them and a little while after that I gave the remaining trio away to someone who doesn't care if they never breed. They all had a terrible habit of playing with/eating/abandoning eggs. Which is fine for some, but I found it frustrating. They were fun little fish though (a great intro to mouthbrooders) and I'd like to have more some day. Mine just had zero parenting instincts.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #954 
Wildbetta

Sad to hear that you had that experience with them. They have been my favorite of the small mouthbrooders so far. It does sound like you are having some success with my other favorite betta ocellata though which is great. :)
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #955 
LittleBettaFish

It's irritating when fish seem to have no paternal/maternal instincts. Usually they are the fish you want to breed the most. I had a pair of brownorum and they were hopeless. Ended up selling them recently because they would spawn and then the female would eat the eggs, or the male would lose interest in guarding the nest and she would get in and eat them.

I think my persephone are liking all the tannins in their water. I have been trying to make it especially dark to make them feel more comfortable.

LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #956 
babystarz

Quote:
Sad to hear that you had that experience with them. They have been my favorite of the small mouthbrooders so far. It does sound like you are having some success with my other favorite betta ocellata though which is great. :)
Yeah, it was definitely disappointing at first. They were my first mouthbrooders, so for a while I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Eventually I realized they were in fact spawning, they just didn't care for the eggs. I think it's possible they were all duds and the fish could tell. Either way, I think it was just bad luck. Otherwise they were super easy to keep happy and healthy.

I did finally spot my other male ocellata today. Still holding! I just filled the nursery tank with 5 inches of water. I'll move the males on Wednesday.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #957 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
It's irritating when fish seem to have no paternal/maternal instincts. Usually they are the fish you want to breed the most. I had a pair of brownorum and they were hopeless. Ended up selling them recently because they would spawn and then the female would eat the eggs, or the male would lose interest in guarding the nest and she would get in and eat them.

I think my persephone are liking all the tannins in their water. I have been trying to make it especially dark to make them feel more comfortable.

I do wonder if some fish just never manage to pass on their genes because they are inept parents. Maybe it's a good thing.

Your persephone are just lovely :) How big do they get? They're on the smaller side, yes?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #958 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah, only like 1.5 inches. I prefer smaller fish haha Means I can fit more tanks on my rack.

My brownorum were wild-caught so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. My unimaculata male is also wild-caught, although my burdigala pair were always really prolific.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #959 
Setsuna

Im getting macrostomas!!!!!!!!!!
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #960 
LittleBettaFish

Great news Setsuna! Macrostoma are so personable.

My stiktos pair have been doing really well. Got some fry I am raising alongside the parents.

I do have a question though, how do you distinguish stiktos from other species? Someone from the Australian Wild Betta Facebook page wanted to know and I wasn't really sure as they don't seem to have an actual species description.