Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #971 
Setsuna

I think they are Wild caught but im not 100% sure
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #972 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
NICE!!!!!!you'll notice that the frys wont fall into the ground unlike domestics. wild males seem to take much care of their frys
I love watching the babies swim back up into the nest when they fall, and the male is SUCH a good dad, and very patient too while I'm trying to take photos.

Even though they have a whole 10 to themselves, he's still super aggressive to my female, so I'm considering moving her out of the tank and reintroducing her once we move and I can pick them up something with a larger footprint so she can get away from him.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #973 
SomeBettaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
I think they are Wild caught but im not 100% sure
Whoa! Nice Setsuna! Those Macs do look wild caught and from Brunei by the looks of it, because the colors are very nice instead of the bland colors from other locals and captive breds. I wish you luck on breeding them because I heard they are hard, but you are a very experienced wild betta keeper and I wouldn't mind getting free macs if you breed a lot!
SomeBettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #974 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Not sure whether to ask this here or in "diseases."

My Guitar smarigdina, my invisible fish of whom I have seen but fleeting glimpses in the last 6 months, showed up during a water change today and allowed me to be horrified at the condition of his back. It looks like someone removed the color off his back (1/16th in=1.5mm) either side of his dorsal center-line. From his head (including the tops of his eyes) all the way back to his dorsal fin.

It's not bloody, scraped, scratched or ugly. Just as if someone had taken some fine sandpaper and rubbed it on his back removing the color. The rest of his fins, body, operculae, mouth, etc look just fine. I've looked everywhere in his tank for something he might have gotten under (or goes under regularly) that would rub on his back. The only thing I see in there to get under is his IAL. Everything else is smooth plastic or Anubias or terra cotta.

I guess I'll finally get to use that Stresscoat I bought. But how will I tell it's working if I don't see him for another month or more?

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-24-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #975 
Hallyx
Reference Team

My Guitar smarigdina, my invisible fish of whom I have seen but fleeting glimpses in the last 6 months, showed up during a water change today and allowed me to be horrified at the condition of his back. It looks like someone removed the color off his back (1/16th in=1.5mm) either side of his dorsal center-line. From his head (including the tops of his eyes) all the way back to his dorsal fin.

It's not bloody, scraped, scratched or ugly. Just as if someone had taken some fine sandpaper and rubbed it on his back removing the color. The rest of his fins, body, operculae, mouth, etc look just fine. I've looked everywhere in his tank for something he might have gotten under (or goes under regularly) that would rub on his back. The only thing I see in there to get under is his IAL. Everything else is smooth plastic or Anubias or terra cotta.

There is no "salt" grain nor coppery dusting. And his behavior doesn't look stressed. How would I know what's normal; I never see him. Holding still so I can get a magnifier and some light on him is, in itself, a behavioral change. Not long enough to get a photo, alas.

I guess I'll finally get to use that Stresscoat I bought. But how will I tell it's working if I don't see him for another month or more?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #976 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Whoops, sorry. Would someone please remove post #974

Thank you.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #977 
Wildbetta

Sorry to hear about your smarigdina Hallyx. Hope things improve with him soon.

My luck was going pretty good but then nosedived this morning. :/

In good news, my male ocellata seems to still be holding fry and should release sometime in the next few days (hopefully not anywhere near as many as before). I have a male albi who is close to releasing a new batch of fry and my male picta is yet again holding for about a week.

The seller of my single male b.simorum has fry so I will be trading some b.picta for some more simorum sometime in the next few months which is awesome news.

I am in the middle of a trade of a pair of juvie b. albimarginatas for some super red bn pleco fry which is exciting.

Now on to the nosediving. I got my b. pallifina pair in Friday. They were absolutely adorable just barely 3in total length but colored so nicely. Very shy species but they were beginning to come around and be more active. I found the female this morning crispy behind the tank. :( Could not believe it when I found her. I was sure the tank was sealed completely. I found a small spot (less than an inch) where the back strip had somehow moved away from the tank rim which is where she jumped ship from. Really irritated since these are a hard to find species for me to get a hold of so finding a female is going to be a pain. My poor male is all lonely now since this pair had "paired" already and almost never left each others side.

Got to keep looking at all the good things.....it is what I keep telling myself everytime something like this happens. Otherwise...it would be hard to keep going on with the jumping wonders.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #978 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post

You might have to just chase him around with a net to get a good look at him. I would say do it at least once a week so you can tell if the area is growing or looks better over time. I'm as baffled as you are though. Did this area look fully healed? Were the borders distinct or patchy?

I'd definitely advise you to post in the Diseases area too, maybe there is someone who's seen similar symptoms in a splendens who can help figure out what is going on.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #979 
LittleBettaFish

Hmm that is odd Hallyx. Are you sure it wasn't just an odd presentation of some sort of stress colouring? Sometimes when my wilds are stressed they can develop this line down their back from head to caudal completely devoid of colour.

Hope it is nothing more sinister.

I got this photo this morning of my new hendra male. He was glass surfing in sync with the massive rutilans male next door. You can see the caudal of the rutilans is nearly as big as he is!

This is their tank

Then here is the brownorum pair's tank.

I may be getting a pair of undescribed coccina complex fish that are apparently the smallest of the wild bettas. However, there has been some confusion on the Australian Wild Betta FB page about whether or not these fish are actually a coccina complex species (even though seller and transhipper had posted they are) so I am going to contact the transhipper and verify with her before I pay as I don't want them if they aren't.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #980 
Wildbetta

Hopefully those undescribed are indeed a coccina complex member LBF.

Seems like the male ocellata was playing with me and wasn't holding. :/ Saw him yawn really big this afternoon and I offered bloodworms and he engulfed them. So I put him back in with his lady. They will be spawning by tomorrow if not as soon as tonight.

Male albi released some fry today which is always cool. :D Now I have to figure out where the best place for them would be.

Picta is still holding strong and I expect fry from him next week.

Put the simorum and pallifina male in the same 20 gallon long which seems to be going ok so far. Neither one of them seems to even notice the other is in there.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote