Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #981 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I cleared it up with the transhipper yesterday, and based on the video she kindly took, they are. I paid for them and I believe they will getting sent out to me at the start of next week (she is down in my state this weekend for a big IBC show).

Pity about your ocellata. Sometimes I can't tell if my unimaculata male is holding or not as his behaviour and appearance don't really change at all.

Did you lose your simorum/pallifina females or did you not have any to begin with? I house a group of mixed species (coccina complex so not particularly docile) males together and they rarely fight. Most of it seems more psychological than actually physical.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #982 
Wildbetta

I have one young male simorum who I bought by himself with the knowledge that the seller is going to let me have a deal on some unsexed juvies out of the next spawn. The pallifina male is the one I lost his female. :( They were both in a 20 gallon long that I had divided to keep the simorum on his own side cause he had been very nippy with the picta pair I had in there previously. He had shown some nippy behavior with the pallifina male when one of them jumped the divider a day after I got the pallifina so I wasn't sure how they would get along in a tank together. When I moved the ocellata up to the living room tank, I moved both the single males into the tank the ocellata had been in. Adding them at the same time seemed to diffuse any nippy behavior which has worked so far. :)
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #983 
babystarz

YESSSS!! After 4 days of continuously stalking my male ocellata, I finally got my shy one in his breeding net. Thank goodness! They're both ready to pop any day now. The one in the net is very pouty now but I managed to do it without him swallowing. I hope I can get the other one in his net too, just because the tank is very full of water and catching fry will be a nightmare. I ended up removing all the juveniles to their own tank and just have the 4 adults in the spawning tank. I was going to move the two adult males but it's been so difficult to just get one in his net I didn't want to risk running out of time, and I know the adults won't eat fry (whereas the juveniles very well might).

Still waiting on my microworms, they better be here tomorrow or I'm in trouble! I think I'm going to get the bbs hatchery up and running just in case. I prefer to wait a week before feeding bbs but I think these fry will be pretty well developed given their long gestation so I should be able to get away with feeding them bbs right away if the microworms are late.

I'm really proud of one of the juvenile males, he's put on at least an inch in the last month. Some of the others are finally growing too.

I have no idea what to do for a tank stand for the 90 gallon. I think I need to go to a consignment store or estate sales this weekend to see if there is an old table that will work. Or a chest of drawers, that would be lovely! The nice thing about having a 100 year old house is there's plenty of gorgeous antique furniture around for cheap if you know where to look.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #984 
Setsuna

My New Imbellis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmRw7d9h9I
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #985 
LittleBettaFish

Wow that colour is so bright it almost looks photoshopped!

I forgot to ask, how did your pond you were working on a while back go? Get any spawns?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #986 
babystarz

After realizing my tank is going to weigh over 800 pounds, I decided I couldn't buy an old table. If I don't know how it was made, I don't know if it'll be able to handle the weight. I ended up ordering a custom-made reinforced bookcase. It was $400 for an unfinished, completely unadorned bookcase And it won't be ready until a month after the tank arrives, plus I will have to stain it. That is going to be interesting, as November in Minnesota can be freezing and snowy, so I likely won't be able to do it outside. I have already spent $1000 on this tank and I haven't even started thinking about lights, plants, substrate, or anything else that will go inside it. This thing had better turn out to be a masterpiece. The fish will have to live somewhere else for at least a month because there's no way I can fill the tank with water before it's on the bookcase.

Last edited by babystarz; 09-27-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #987 
bettaakapes

Posted via Mobile Device
bettaakapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #988 
bettaakapes

Any chance you have betta Fusca?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
bettaakapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #989 
LittleBettaFish

My unimaculata male is holding a massive mouthful of eggs. I hope he swallows as I am quite content with the number of fry I have now. Maybe I'll just wait until they are sleeping and then come over and shake their tank haha

His naughty paramour
Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #990 
babystarz

Shy male released his fry yesterday! See if you can spot any in the fry net:

I accidentally let him out of the fry net early so there are some fry in the main tank, I managed to nab about 4 of them. There are around 20 in the net I think.

Something very interesting happened as soon as he was finished, he colored up like I've never seen! He was so happy to be eating, he was practically glowing. I snapped several pics on my camera, I'll try to get them uploaded soon.

Still waiting on the other male, I never did get him in a net. He has decided the upside down herb planter is his spot and he doesn't rest anywhere else. Oh well. hopefully I'm around to net the fry when it happens - I caught my shy female munching on a newborn yesterday, which is weird because in the past the females have been good with the fry. They were both really antsy yesterday though. I had to isolate the dominant female because I realized my shy guy wasn't releasing fry very often because the girls kept swimming over and bothering him. As soon as I got her corralled, he spat out all the remaining babies within 5 minutes.

LBF did your male just start holding? That is a lot of eggs