Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #1 
NormaCarts

Betta friends

Hello, I want to get my first Betta in a couple of weeks time, and wondered which fish you would all recommend for them to live with or are they really much better as a lone fish?

After researching them I have a new 54L tank (been cycling for 6 days now) but I am seriosuly considering whether or not to put a Betta in the tank eventually with other compatible fish or to have a betta lone and get a smaller tank for him as I have really got my heart set on having one after reading up so much they are amazing fish!!!

Please help and advise as the last thing i want is to have a Betta and for other fish to nip at his fins even though they are supposed compatible tank buddies, as I know there will always be exceptions to the rule with individual Betta personalities

Thanks guys you really are so helpful
NormaCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #2 
clopez1

It will all really depend on the betta..Some get along with other fish and some rather be alone. I would start off with just the betta and get a feel for him. If he flares a lot or if he seems calm. I started with a few ghost shrimp to see if he'd eat them and after a few months and no shrimp killings upgraded to a 10 gallon tank with neon tetras and he's doing great, he's very mellow so he keeps to himself, runs into the shoal every now and then to let them know who's boss and then goes on his way.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #3 
NormaCarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clopez1 View Post
It will all really depend on the betta..Some get along with other fish and some rather be alone. I would start off with just the betta and get a feel for him. If he flares a lot or if he seems calm. I started with a few ghost shrimp to see if he'd eat them and after a few months and no shrimp killings upgraded to a 10 gallon tank with neon tetras and he's doing great, he's very mellow so he keeps to himself, runs into the shoal every now and then to let them know who's boss and then goes on his way.
Thanks Clopez!

So your concern would mainly be in keeping a Betta/tetra combo the Betta bullying the tetras rather than the tetras nipping the betta's fins?

What does flaring mean?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #4 
clopez1

When a male betta (and sometimes a female) sees another male, his first reaction is one of intimidation. The betta will immediately stretch out his fins as much as he can and open his gills as wide as he can, displaying his membrane, and suddenly looking twice a big as he really is :). This is called FLARING or DISPLAYING..If you put a mirror to where the betta can see himself he'll flare..Mine has flared maybe 4 times since I got him in May. If he really goes at it..I would avoid putting other fish..Fin nipping is also an issue you'd need to be careful of but from what I hear if you put enough Tetras together to shoal they tend to keep each other busy and less chance of fin nips.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #5 
NormaCarts

Ok great thanks very much, so essentially it is much easier to keep a betta alone isn't it?

What tank would you recommend for a single betta?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #6 
clopez1

Like I said it all depends on the betta..I would start off with him being alone and if you decide you want tank mates a few 10 to 33 cent ghost shrimp would be a good start..He wipes them out then it's not too big a loss and you can just put it off as a good meal. Some say 2.5 gallon is good..I started mine in a 2.5 but you will want to go bigger..We all get the itch. It's also easier to cycle a larger tank of 5 gallon or more..Less water changes needed so you may want to start 5 or 10 gallon.