Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #1 
candyman995

Filter Issues

Hey guys and girls

a little problem of mine that you can help with hopefully.

I have a planted tank with 3 oto, 7 cherry shrimp and a crown tailed betta called Kraken. Its planted and used to be clean and easy to care for. Now recently the filter seems to get dirty very quickly.

Its a rear mounted external Aquaone filter with carbon cartridges. At bad times i have to replace the cartridge every other week if it wont clean, there ment to last 8 weeks maximum.

Any advice....... can include recomendations for new filters that people have had good experiance with as well.

Ta :)
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size tank do you have? What is your water change schedule, how much water? Do you do a good vacuum? When you say dirty, is it just brown or is it gunked up with no water flow going through. I typically rinse my cartridge in the used tank water when I do a water change.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 
sarahspins

Yep, we need more info (tank size, WC schedule, etc)

If the filter foam just looks dirty, that's fine.. the beneficial bacteria colonies you need in your tank are brown, so a "dirty" looking filter is not a sign of a problem. If the filter itself is getting clogged with dead plant matter (or other gunk), that's another issue.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 
candyman995

Its a 3 gallon tank, i do water changes 50% three weeks a month and 100% on the forth week. If it looks like its getting worse then i do them more often maybe twice a week.

I vacuum on each water change... much to my distaste as i have to start the suction and usually get the bad taste after. I dislike my vacuum though it clogs easily and doesnt seem to do much on its own.

Filter cartridge gets gunky easily and slows the water flow significantly.... i do rinse it in the old tank water to be on the safe side with each change but it builds up again fast.

Would a different filter be better maybe an internal one???
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

In my personal opinion your 3g is overstocked & is causing your filter to gunk ups so quickly. Otos should be in a minimu of a 20g from what I understand. When purchasing fish it's important to think of them as adults not the juveniles we typically purchase. Unless you are willing to rehome some fish or get a bigger tank you will continue to have water/filter issues.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 
sarahspins

Yep, you are absolutely overstocked... just the CRS would be pushing it in a 3g, nevermind adding the betta and the 3 oto's.

Oto's should be kept in groups of 6+ and they do need a minimum of a 20g tank. Just because people do keep them in smaller tanks and in smaller numbers doesn't make it right.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #7 
candyman995

I was planning to move up to a 20 gallon tank but am stuck to find one that i like and that is of a resonable price for me.

Do you have any recommendation for this i've been struggling to find one.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 
LizzyP

Petco has their $1 per gallon sale going on, in store only though. So a 20 gallon would be $20. Can't really beat that.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #9 
candyman995

Im in the UK so i cant take advantage of that...... does sound like a blinding deal though for a decent sized tank :/
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

You should NEVER EVER replace your catridges unless they are falling apart, but then you have to stuff the old media into the nw media to keep your cycle. If you throw it out every month, it will just destroy your cycle.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartridge, dirty water, filters