Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #1 
JerryBerrie

Overfed Fishy

I love my betta, King, soo much. I feed him 3 pellets a day, and once a week a pinch of dried bloodworms and one pellet. Yesterday I fed King 2 pellets in the morning, but had home counseling, so I told my little sister to feed him. Instead of feeding him 1 pellet, she fed him 4 :(. I went to look at him and his belly was huge and white. I searched online to see what I could do, and just waited til today to clean out his tank. Also, along with having a full white belly, when i was about to go to sleep, his color turned from vibrant purple-blue to dull, almost pale-like blue. I got so scared but decided to let him rest. I woke up this morning and his color was back to normal, his belly was a bit smaller, still white, but decided to change his tank, 100% water change. The whole day though he was sluggish, and he fell asleep a few times near the surface, scaring me a ton today. I just really need to know, if this happens again, what to do. King is my baby, I dont want to loose him.
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

Bettas have very small stomachs; about the same size as one of their eye balls. If you don't feed him for a day (to let the food cycle through his system) it should clear out. He probably is just feeling sick from an over-full belly. Let us know how he does!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 
Mahachai

Poor betta! I'm assuming he's having constipation. Signs of constipation are swollen stomachs, inactivity, pale, and stringy feces that remains attached. And they're caused by incorrect feeding or overfeeding.

I suggest to leave your betta without eating for several days. Then give him dried bloodworms or even better, frozen bloodworms/live blood worms for awhile. And slowy switch back to his regular pellets.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #4 
JerryBerrie

I fed him 2 days later, just one pellet. He's doing better, his color did come back, made me happy :) I bought a new tank for King though, and i let him float for a while and released him. Does anyone have any tips about keeping any stress down?
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBerrie View Post
I fed him 2 days later, just one pellet. He's doing better, his color did come back, made me happy :) I bought a new tank for King though, and i let him float for a while and released him. Does anyone have any tips about keeping any stress down?
Dim environments help reduce stress in fish so you could put a towel over his tank or turn out the light. What's he been stressed from?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 
SurprisinglyFemale

I always read posts on how if you house a betta with African Dwarf Frogs because the frogs are pigs and might eat all the food. Well, I have the opposite problem. I used to be able to feed my frogs until they look plump. Now, I have to worry about my fish eating all the rest. I fed them Sunday and when I came home, my betta's belly was huge! It was smaller and back to normal by the time it was night so I guess it wasn't too bad?
SurprisinglyFemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #7 
Dutch

In the event of constipation, feeding daphnia can work as a great natural laxative. Daphnia is also very tiny which is great for a betta's small stomach. I typically feed daphnia 2 to 3 times a week regardless of constipation just to help keep the little dude regular.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #8 
Irishdancer

Poor guy. I know how easy it is to overfeed them, they always are asking for more food!

I have one fish who gets bloated very easily, and I've found that raising the water temperature can help a lot. If he seems constipated, Epsom salt seems to work pretty well, and you'd normally have to fast him for more than 2 days.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, overfed