Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #1 
tigeress2474

Unhappy Turning gray & bloated

For 3 days now he seems to be getting worse.

He is in a 3 gal tank. I change his water every 3 days as it gets so cloudy and slimy feeling. I do a 100% change. I wash his house/rock and his plant. The temp is about 78 always.

All his levels are fine when I check.
Food I feed is Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
For water I use Top Fin Betta water conditioner
No filter on tank.

He is almost all gray now
tigeress2474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 
MoonShadow

How long have you had him? A picture would REALLY help!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #3 
sunlight

I am also wondering that MoonShadow.
Is he eating? How much you feed him? How long he is sick ? You wrote for 3 days now he is getting worse. Is he lethargic?
Did you see his poop. Some time when betta bloated it can be overfeeding, internal parasites , internal bacteria. So really needs more information.
Did you see his poop and when is last time he had it?
What color it is? With internal parasites poop will be white,clear , stringy wormy shape.
How much you feed him ? Did you try to fast him?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 
tigeress2474

I can't get a good photo I tried. I feed him once a day about 4 or 5 pellets. He has stopped eating for 2 days. I have tried but he don't eat so I take out the pellets. I think his poop is stringy, (brownish) but have always been like that. I have had him for about a month. He wasn't in a good home at the pet store. It was really yucky water. He has been sick for about 3 days. He stays at the top of his tank.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 
tigeress2474

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 10-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #6 
MoonShadow

Do you use tap water or spring water? Do you know what your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings are? Loss of color and bloating make me think internal bacterial infection. I would lower the water temp to around 75-76, higher temps make bacteria spread faster. And treat him with Aquarium salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) and a broad spectrum anti-biotic such as tetracycline or maracyn-oxy
Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 
sunlight

Buy Epsom salt . You can find it in the pharmacy. Pre mix 3tsp/gall of it in one gall jug for the right dosage. Do daily water changes see if it will help. Keep him in deem light.
Also check if his scales raised.
When you change his water introduce him to it slowly by adding a little of the new water to his changing cup and let him sit for a few minutes. Do it a few times so he get used to it.
Do you have IAL?
Keep offering him food because if he is eating frozen daphnia is really good for bloating.
Give us update please.

Moon didn't see your post...
I am confuse why you saying aq salt not epsom salt since he is bloated i didn't see picture though
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #8 
tigeress2474

I will get him salt.
I have "Mardel" testing strips and all say they are at safe lvl but total hardness is at 25 and that is in the middle.

I do't have any frozen daphnia, but will get when I get salt.
What is IAL? Sorry still new to the fish thing.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 
MoonShadow

Epsom salt is good too for drawing out bloating you are correct, and Aquarium salt is good for bacterial infections. It's my go to remedy haha, recommending it is just habit, but OP sunlight is right, treating with epsom salt to trying reduce the bloating is a good idea!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #10 
sunlight

I would buy both of them. If you have betta fish it like first aid -should have it.
And in some cases i know you can even mix it. I never did it ,but i was curious and someone told me it possible.
I think start doing Epsom and see if he is better and his symptoms. Always check poo so we can be sure he don't have internal parasites. His poo normal now though so i hope he don't have parasites.