Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
RedRaz

My betta won't eat :(

Hey everyone! I have had my betta Raz for two weeks now and this little guy just will not eat. I have tried flakes, two different types of pellets, freeze dried blood worms, frozen blood worms and he just won't eat a thing. *sigh* I'm starting to get really worried too. The weird thing is that he looks perfectly healthy. Swims around, flares, follows me when he sees me. Is he depressed? Sick internally? Am I freaking out for no reason? Is this normal for a betta to do?

I have a 2.5 gal tank with filter, heater, live plants, snail.
temp is at 78 degrees
Water tested normal
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #2 
sunlight

I though you wrote that he ate crashed pellets and a few blood worms? Is he refusing them now? I read when someone had new betta and he didn't eat for 2 weeks and then finally started.

I don't know i would worry too. Offer for a few more days and if there is no changes i would try aquarium salt. I read that people write that it can boost immune system and it also antibacterial.
I know someone who had betta and it just never ate and died and he didn't have any symptoms at all.
So i would wait and then use aq salt it better to try then loose him.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #3 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
I though you wrote that he ate crashed pellets and a few blood worms? Is he refusing them now? I read when someone had new betta and he didn't eat for 2 weeks and then finally started.

I don't know i would worry too. Offer for a few more days and if there is no changes i would try aquarium salt. I read that people write that it can boost immune system and it also antibacterial.
I know someone who had betta and it just never ate and died and he didn't have any symptoms at all.
So i would wait and then use aq salt it better to try then loose him.
I thought he was but realized he was spitting them out *pellets*. Won't touch the flakes and won't eat pellets crushed either. He ate half a blood worm once. That is it. Yeah I will try the salt. I just don't know what else to do. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #4 
sunlight

Do you have all instructions for the salt? Can you let me know how he doing please.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #5 
RedRaz

I have a question about the salt. I have live plants and a nerite snail. Will they be okay with the salt?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #6 
RedRaz

I also noticed Raz has a few black spots on his scales but only on one side. I never saw that before. :( What could that be?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #7 
sunlight

not sure and he is not eating which makes his immune system weaker.Black spots not one spot? Can you post his picture? Is he still active? I would really do aquarium salt.
Do you have hospital tank? If not just lower the water so you can do daily 100% water changes.
Pre mix 1tsp/gall in one gall jug or if you don't have one gall use any clean container/cup to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved before you using it. Make sure the water the same temperature so acclimate him to new water.
You need to do daily 100% water changes.
Do you have stress coat ? I would use it.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #8 
RedRaz

Little black spots?

Can you see them? Not too many but definitely a new thing.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

No dont use the the salt with snails and plants ! Do the black spots look like part of his coloring ? If you could get a picture of them that would help alot. Keep offering the food and take it out if he doesnt eat it, you could try to soak the pellets in some garlic juice which many people do so their Bettas will eat. Since he is acting normal try not to sorry to much I know though easier said then done. Its been two weeks so maybe he will start eating soon and its just taking he longer to get adjusted to his new home. If he doesnt eat soon we can send the Old Fish Lady a message and see what she says to try. Good luck and keep us posted to how he is doing.

Great you got a picture...okay I cant really see the spots. He looks healthy ...hhhmmm ...try the pellet soaked in some garlic juice, just smash one up and put the pellet in the juice for a couple of mins.

Also if you want to try the salt you could take the snail and plants out of his tank or put him in a smaller tank. But wait on that okay I really dont think what he needs is salt and not sure how much to add per gallon. I am going to message the Old Fish Lady to have a look at this thread.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 09-19-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 
RedRaz

Here are two more pictures.

What do you think?
Attached Images