Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #1 
berly1980

Unhappy Male Betta and neon tetras... Think it was a bad choice

Ok, So i have a 10 gallon tank with heater and air pump. I started the tank back in May 2012. I have a male betta, 2 blood fin tetras, 2 neon tetras and two Chinese algae eaters. I used to have 3 neon tetras but about a 3 weeks ago, one of them disappeared. So i just went and bought another one to replace it so my 4yr old didn't get upset. Well, three days later, my 3 neon's was down to two again. There has not been any corpse. I think the betta is eating them. Funny thing is he didn't bother them when there was only two of them. I really like my betta because he has a lot of personality but I am starting to consider weather or not I want to have him in the tank with the other fish or put him on his own.Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. I did post pics of my tank and the betta. His stomach looks full
berly1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 
katydidmischief

It might be the algae eaters--how big are they? The little boogers can get to a foot long and are known to be aggressive and carnivorous.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
berly1980

The algae eaters are only about 1 1/2 inches long and very skinny... I got the smaller ones out of the ones I seen and they always hide on the bottom. I think they are just "babies"
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 
aqua001

From what I know, Your tetras are schooling fish so they need to be in groups of 5 or more, to reduce stress levels. I'm not very sure about the algae eaters, though. I think it could be that your betta is eating them. How big are the neons? The ones at my LPS are like 3/4 of an inch while the ones at Wamart are more like babies, less than 1/2 an inch. I guess the smaller the easier to swallow so.....
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #5 
berly1980

Yeah the tetras are but the lady at PETCO told me it would be ok since i have 3 of the neon and 2 bloodfin tetras. If it was from stress wouldn't i see the corpse? The neons are about 3/4 in maybe just a little smaller. And the betta's belly is much bigger unless it's an infection... i do have pics on my profile
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

have you checked the area around your tank very carefully? neons are notorious jumpers, and even a tiny opening will allow them to make an untimely death leap :(
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 
berly1980

I wasn't aware that neon's were jumpers however i did examine the area because i provide childcare and have a young nephew who loves the tank.... so i did entertain the idea that maybe they did something.... i moved everything in the tank and looked at the filter.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by berly1980 View Post
I wasn't aware that neon's were jumpers however i did examine the area because i provide childcare and have a young nephew who loves the tank.... so i did entertain the idea that maybe they did something.... i moved everything in the tank and looked at the filter.
early on in our fish career we had a tank with neon tetras...out of three, two of them died, and one just flat-out disappeared. the guy at the store (who actually seemed fairly knowledgeable) said that they were a big jump hazard, and said the missing one probably jumped out and my fiance's cat probably ate it :(
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #9 
clopez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by berly1980 View Post
Yeah the tetras are but the lady at PETCO told me it would be ok since i have 3 of the neon and 2 bloodfin tetras. If it was from stress wouldn't i see the corpse? The neons are about 3/4 in maybe just a little smaller. And the betta's belly is much bigger unless it's an infection... i do have pics on my profile

Mistake number 1..Never listen to the Petco employees..They would sell you a shark for a 2 gallon tank if you believe them..Half know nothing and the other half are telling you what the first half told them.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote