Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 
ItsKourtneyYoC8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Orleans
Bettas in a 40 gall?

So I'm possibly getting this deliver to me tomorrow evening and I think it would be great for a sorority!

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/for/3288748321.html


My questions are:
How many females would be best?
What other types of fish could I add? Are Khulies okay? <3
And where would I get a decent priced/size heater? Petsmart?
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #2 
copperarabian
Member
 
copperarabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
You can do a bunch of stuff in a 40g, I have 48g and it's doing pretty good. Khulies would be fine :)
Most heaters are good, as long as it's adjustable and it should say on the package how many gallons it's range is. the top fin heater are pretty good and have rubber on them to protect it from shattering, I think they also have a lifetime warranty. for a 40g it would be $31.99. The Fluval Submersible Glass Aquarium Heaters is also a great heater and is on sale(on the petsmart web site) for 29.59 (normally 36.99)


I have 5 female bettas, 2 scissor tail rasboras, 1 blue(two spot) gourami, a school of red eye tetras, a bristle nose pleco, and a gold mystery snail, and a African butterfly fish. I can only keep one gourami in this tank because he will attack any other. I bought him when he was small like a year and a half ago so he's grown up with female bettas and leaves them alone.

One fish that didn't work out at all was a paradise fish, he attack my girls and killed a few of them in only a few hours, he now lives in a 10g with my male betta(divided) and is the most aggressive fish I have. I also added a female betta that I rescued from wall mart(the fish in the net breeder) but she is highly aggressive and although she was fine the first day she attack a few of my girls the second day when I wasn't home and the two didn't survive their severe injuries. It's sometimes hit and miss, but you can make a great sorority and community tank with a tank that size. I was always pushing the boundaries of what I could keep int there. I've found that with larger gouramis it's best to buy them small and let them grow up with the bettas.

The more hiding spots you have the more fish you can have, mine is now pretty open so I don't keep it over stocked like I had with my 17g.


Last edited by copperarabian; 10-05-2012 at 03:45 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #3 
ItsKourtneyYoC8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
You can do a bunch of stuff in a 40g, I have 48g and it's doing pretty good. Khulies would be fine :)
Most heaters are good, as long as it's adjustable and it should say on the package how many gallons it's range is. the top fin heater are pretty good and have rubber on them to protect it from shattering, I think they also have a lifetime warranty. for a 40g it would be $31.99. The Fluval Submersible Glass Aquarium Heaters is also a great heater and is on sale(on the petsmart web site) for 29.59 (normally 36.99)


I have 5 female bettas, 2 scissor tail rasboras, 1 blue(two spot) gourami, a school of red eye tetras, a bristle nose pleco, and a gold mystery snail, and a African butterfly fish. I can only keep one gourami in this tank because he will attack any other. I bought him when he was small like a year and a half ago so he's grown up with female bettas and leaves them alone.

One fish that didn't work out at all was a paradise fish, he attack my girls and killed a few of them in only a few hours, he now lives in a 10g with my male betta(divided) and is the most aggressive fish I have. I also added a female betta that I rescued from wall mart(the fish in the net breeder) but she is highly aggressive and although she was fine the first day she attack a few of my girls the second day when I wasn't home and the two didn't survive their severe injuries. It's sometimes hit and miss, but you can make a great sorority and community tank with a tank that size. I was always pushing the boundaries of what I could keep int there. I've found that with larger gouramis it's best to buy them small and let them grow up with the bettas.

The more hiding spots you have the more fish you can have, mine is now pretty open so I don't keep it over stocked like I had with my 17g.



WOW! That is amazing!
I definitely want to get a 40 gal now!
A friend of mine has been having one for a while and I always admired it.
I'm not sure what kind of fish I want in it yet. I know I do want some female bettas but then again I think Hpnotic would be very please with being the 40 gallon queen :3

And I will ALWAYS want some Khulies <3


I really hope they reply bac. They said they can deliver it but never emailed back when I replied.. I'm so anxious!
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #4 
copperarabian
Member
 
copperarabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
WOW! That is amazing!
I definitely want to get a 40 gal now!
A friend of mine has been having one for a while and I always admired it.
I'm not sure what kind of fish I want in it yet. I know I do want some female bettas but then again I think Hpnotic would be very please with being the 40 gallon queen :3

And I will ALWAYS want some Khulies <3


I really hope they reply bac. They said they can deliver it but never emailed back when I replied.. I'm so anxious!
I hope they reply back too :D And having it delivered is a awesome plus. Do a bunch of research about the types of fish you want and check out all the fish at local aquarium/fish specialty stores as they often have larger specimens to look at. Lot of tetras and other fish live a surprisingly long time (up to 10+ years) and you'll want to make sure you really like them since you'll have them for a long time.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #5 
ItsKourtneyYoC8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I hope they reply back too :D And having it delivered is a awesome plus. Do a bunch of research about the types of fish you want and check out all the fish at local aquarium/fish specialty stores as they often have larger specimens to look at. Lot of tetras and other fish live a surprisingly long time (up to 10+ years) and you'll want to make sure you really like them since you'll have them for a long time.
I know! and they are only asking $100 for everything!
They also said they can bring it to me Monday! Gives me time to make a spot for it in the living room! [wish I had room in my bedroom for it!]

I know for a fact where to get some khulies and I think I want a upside cat fish again.hey are so cool! I had one before named Hendrix but it was an impulse buy [I know! tisk tisk -.-] and I only had a 5 gallon at the time so I had to find him a home along with 2 blue gouramis >.<


So I have 2 missions, no 3 missions, for this weekend:
~ Save half my paycheck!
~Make a spot for it!
And
~ Tell my boyfriend I'm getting it and HOPEFULLY he approves>.<

But quite honestly I don't think he will care since it's my money! lol
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #6 
gbose
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Good luck, Kourtney!!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #7 
ItsKourtneyYoC8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
Good luck, Kourtney!!
Thank you so much!
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 10 gall tank LeeNMissG Betta Fish Compatibility 17 01-18-2011 08:31 PM
Think im gonna go with the 8 gall Welsh Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 11 06-09-2010 02:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.