Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #1 
Beta Dragoness

New to this forum... a few questions about beta's

I have owned fish off & on over my 30 yrs of life (mostly goldies) but since i have gotten with my now fiancee, i have gotten into betas... i have this one that stays at the ranch here & he has gotten really 'used' to me. whenever he sees me he always comes to the top of the bowl & when i walk into the kitchen (which is about 10 feet from his bowl which is in the living room because it has a lot of natural but not harsh light) i sweare he reconizes me. has anyone else had this experience? i never thought i could love a fish as much as i love this guy.

feeding: i have been feeding him bloodworms from petco sold in a little plastic container... but i have read on here that they need variety... he has turned into one of the longest living betas we have had & i am afraid of giving him anything else for fear of him dying on me (it would be crushing to me if that happened :( ) what other foods are good for & safe for betas?
Beta Dragoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Yes, Bettas have the ability to recognize faces. They are very intelligent fish and can even be trained to do tricks. I was gone for 4 days (I had someone come to feed her) and when I came home, she practically burst through her tank when she saw me. She didn't act that excited with my mom who was feeding her while I was gone.
My fish can distinguish between me (her feeder), my 6 year old son (her admirer) and my husband (the tall guy who says hello to her every morning). When she sees me, she goes to the top of her tank expecting to be fed. When she sees my son or my husband, she swims back and forth against the glass about mid level in her tank, and only goes to the top for air.

As far as food goes, a lot of people here like pellets, but my fish doesn't really like them and if given a choice, she will eat flakes. She loves bloodworms, but I only feed those once a week as a treat.

How long have you had your Betta? A well cared for Betta can live 5 - 7 years. I've only had mine for a few months (correction, my son has only had her for a few months :D - he's the one who picked her out and thinks she's his, but I'm much more emotionally attached than he is). I had one as a teenager and he lived for about a year, I didn't know really know how to care for Bettas way back then and kept him in a 1 gallon tank and rarely changed his water. I think if I had known more about Betta care, he would have lived much longer,
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #3 
crowntaillove

A lot of people on here seem to recommend New Life Spectrum pellets, but some bettas are very picky (like mine) and only like flakes. They need a balanced diet, much like us, and I believe that bloodworms alone do not meet the requirements. When picking out a food, from what I've read, the first few ingredients should be something of protein since bettas mainly eat meat in the wild.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 
BabyBetta0108

I feed my two boys frozen brine shrimp. One of them goes nuts for it, the other one doesn't like it as much. For pellets I use the omega one buffet pellets, it's also pretty popular along with NLS pellets. You can also try feeding them mysis shrimp or daphnia too! daphnia is pretty good for their digestive system because it acts like a natural laxative.
BabyBetta0108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #5 
Beta Dragoness

Where would I find those types or shrimp as mine don't like thr pellets either :/ lol, I hope I haven't been hurting him by feeding him bloodworms :( this is my first beta so like you, I am still learning. I stayed away from flakes because I thought they were just for goldfish :S.

I am also very attached to my guy (who is technically my fiancee's but I have been charged with his care & have since become attached) & want to give him the best I can. Thank god I found this forum :)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #6 
BabyBetta0108

If you have a Petsmart or Petco near you, I would look there. They usually have frozen brine shrimp in cubes, so you can just break off what you need, defrost it and feed it to your guy. I found mysis shrimp and daphnia there also but in freeze-dried form. You can also order them on Amazon if you can't find them in a store near you. With freeze dried food, I always try to soak them a little bit before feeding them to my fellas so it would reduce the chances of bloating.

I'm still pretty new to betta keeping but I've learned a lot from looking at this forum. I tend to spoil my little babies lol :P
BabyBetta0108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #7 
Beta Dragoness

That's what i want to do too , all our other animals get the best diet that Incan give to the best of my knowledge, I wanted to do the same for my beta fella :)

I also have a pet supplies plus near me & they seem to have a nice fish selection if petsmart/Petco don't have it I can also look there.