Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 
lieny

Help?

I was hoping someone could help me. My betta Carl eats fine, colorful and is very active. His water temp is at 75-77 and i change his water every week 50%. i do put water conditioner in is water. Carl lives in a 5 gal tank with filter. Everything seems fine except his fins are clamping. Can someone tell me what i can do to help him?
lieny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
Bettaworldfighters

Cool (90} percent of betta problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieny View Post
I was hoping someone could help me. My betta Carl eats fine, colorful and is very active. His water temp is at 75-77 and i change his water every week 50%. i do put water conditioner in is water. Carl lives in a 5 gal tank with filter. Everything seems fine except his fins are clamping. Can someone tell me what i can do to help him?

the water is to cold, unlike most tropical fish ,bettas like there water temp around 85 to 88 , add a table spoon of salt to every gallon and half wont hurt him.there dark water fish, if you want to treat him nice buy some banana leeves or almond for bettas and let soak in gallon of water and add some some to your tank the water not the leaves, but your problemm is most likely water temp.Bettaworldfighters@weebly.com
Bettaworldfighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 
lieny

i have a heater in the tank and thats what the temp is at. should i get a different heater?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #4 
sainthogan

My Betta's fins started clamping before she had any other behavioral symptoms of his illness. Mine had velvet. You can tell if yours has velvet by shining a light on him and see if he appears to have any gold colored flakes or fine dust on him. Sometimes the dust will appear to be rust colored. Sometimes, the clamped fins are the only first visible sign until the velvet is wide spread and becomes obvious. Please take a flashlight and get a good look at your fish's coloring. My fish lives in a tank at 76 degrees and is very active and happy so if you've always had that temperature and this is the first time you've noticed this, then I suspect it's not the temperature. How long have you had your fish? Also fill out the form that is a sticky on the top of this forum, this will help other more experienced people help you with your problem.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 
lieny

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no tank mates

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari BioGold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 3-4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat and stress zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped Fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i added a teaspoon of Aquarium salt..
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that i know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him about 2 weeks ago
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #6 
lieny

forgot this part

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.2-7.8
Hardness:75-150
Alkalinity:
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 
lieny

alkalinity is at 120
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #8 
Bettaworldfighters

use distilled water and you will never have a problem. Even bottled water is good , I still let it sit out, add a table spoon to a gallon gallon and half of salt. and use the right dosage of stress coat. I always age water 24 to 48 hours never have a problem with water , now pellets and flakes, dont give you the healthest looking fish , use live foods , I have found frozen foods sometimes have parasites. theres no way to keep yourself 100 percent safe ,so dont expect it of a betta , stuff happens.
Bettaworldfighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 
MoonShadow

distilled water is not good for bettas, it lack essential nutrients in the water that bettas need. Your temperature is fine, bettas do best between 76 and 80 degrees. When you set up the tank did you rinse everything first? When you change the water do you vacuum the gravel? Do you have a picture of him?
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I don't recommend distilled water for use with fish-it not only lacks the needed minerals, electrolytes for long term health-it also lacks oxygen.

Bottled water can sometimes be filtered tap water and the filtering process can remove the needed minerals for long term health-and it may still contain the additive like chlorine/chloramines and you will need to use a dechlorinator to be safe.

Mixing tap/bottled water 50/50 along with the proper amount of dechlorinator is fine, however, it usually isn't needed-since the domesticated Betta generally will adapt to your tap water pH and harness and by your numbers your water looks to be fine a far as pH and hardness-Plus using bottled water can get expensive-especially with all the needed water changes.

Since you haven't had him for long-2 weeks-correct....and he is overall acting fine, eating-responding to you...just clamped fins-What I would recommend-increase water changes to daily 50% for 3 days (to get the salt out for one-best to not add salt to the tank)-(Long term aquarium salt is not needed or good for this species)-Turn off the filter for 3 days and see if this will perk him up...
Observe for other signs/symptoms-especially external parasites-Adding a tannin source is always a good idea-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-they have antibacterial/fungal properties, ease stress and can help toughen fins/scales.

IMO/E-filters are optional for this species and often with the Long fin males the filter/water movement can be the cause of fin issues and stress.
After 3 days-if you decide to use the filter-be sure and give it a good rinse before you turn it back on.

I am going to assume that the 5gal filtered is a new setup and not cycled-due to the water pram reading or do you have lots of live active growing plants in the tank...

Temp is fine IMO

If he has a change in behavior, different signs/symptoms etc....He may need a treatment-It is best to QT for treatments....

Aquarium salt is a great product to use for treatments-when used for the right reason, duration and dosage.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote