Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 
Taffy1

Help for ailing, blind Betta

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

Several days ago I picked up one male Betta and mistakingly put them in my community tank. Although I have had Bettas in the community tank in the past this time was not a good idea. By the time I got up the following morning he had been attacked and was in pretty bad shape. Most of his fins and tail were gone and he was having trouble swimming was either on his side or sometimes upside down. I actually thought he had no more than a few minutes to live. His color was also very poor.

Although I figured I had very little hope of saving the little guy I thought I had to try. I set up a 5 gal tank for him. I put in some aquarium salt and of course the required conditioner and bacteria. Although I had never used colloidal silver in an aquarium before, I had done a lot of reading online and found that others have with great success. I figured He was pretty much dead anyway, so nothing to lose. Well within two hours the little guy was swimming very well and completely upright. But that's another story.

At first, He was very weak not swimming properly of course and kept getting stuck on the filter intake. So I decided to turn off the filter. The following day, I knew he was stronger, so I turned on the filter. His color was also much improved.

It was not until yesterday that I realized a little guy was totally blind. he also seems to have a very mild case of fin and tail rot. This is not something he needs considering he has very little fins left to begin with. His fins are less than half the size they would be for that of a female Betta. So yesterday I started putting a tiny little bit of Melafix in the water.

Today I tested the water and found that there was some ammonia in there. So I decided to do a roughly 25% water change. And added some more salt and Mela fix and a bit more colloidal silver. Oh and I also added some ammonia lock to the filter. No doubt the ammonia spike is due to the uneaten food... As I said it's was only a couple of days after that I realized he was blind. (Now I turn off the filter when I go to feed him, and watch and wait until he's done eating).

I will test the water again tomorrow and do another water change if needed. I don't like to do major water changes if it can be avoided due to extra stress this might cause. I'm hoping this 25 to 30% water change was enough, especially since we also added ammonia block. The temperature in his tank is about 76 or 77.

I would appreciate any suggestions, or let me know if I am doing something wrong. I would really like to try to help this little guy if I can.... Especially since it's my fault this happened.

Thanks in advance
Taffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #2 
twolovers101

A lot of people are going to say don't use melafix, or anything that ends with fix because there is something in it that can damage the labyrinth organ.

Since bettas (especially blind ones) rely on smell to find food, I would suggest possibly soaking his pellets in garlic, it will also encourage him to eat.

Also, if you're going to be doing salt treatments (really good idea for the fin rot) make sure to do 100% water changes (a small hospital tank works best) as salt doesn't evaporate.

Instead of the melafix, you might want to try using stress coat. Walmart has a pretty good product called quick cure which is formalin and malachite green and I have used it with success in the past (currently treating one of my boys for mild fin rot he had when I got him) also, of course make sure his tank is heated and all that good stuff

Other than that I think you're doing a great job :) I have a little soft spot for blind bettas, so best of luck to you and your little man
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #3 
Taffy1

Thx for the response.

Really, you recommend 100% water changes? Even if I do get the ammonia dealt with? I was afraid that would be really stressful on him; which would be harder on him?

I did try soaking food in Garlic Guard; but he seems to avoid that completely. Or is this different than another garlic product you might recommend, that may be more palatable?

I can check out walmart for the other product you recommend ;)
Taffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 
LizzyP

If you're doing a salt treatment, yes. 100% changes everyday. And as for soaking in garlic, just get some garlic from the grocery store. I sometimes use the preminced garlic that comes in a jar.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #5 
twolovers101

they do get a little stressed out at first, but the guy I'm currently treating has gotten so used to it, that he willingly swims into the cup for water changes :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Poor guy I hope he heals soon ! Prime water conditioner will detox ammonia for 48 hours so after that you would need to do a water change and add more Prime, it also detoxes nitrite and nitrate. Best of luck !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 
lelei

Oh sorry to hear bout yur lil fishy..I am actually in the same perdicament..my fishy is or may be also goin blind..and I talk ti him a lot and help to guide him ti his food..i havent used garlic yet..but that will be next if his vision gets worse..its only one eye so he fumbles around but can see the food when it sinks..does yur fishy see anything..like yur finger..i test with the mirror I know my fishy can still see his reflection..have you tried that?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote