Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 03:06 AM   #1 
maineiacjay

new crowntails - help with colors?

i got a couple of new crowntails but am not sure of the correct color type. help with this would be appreciated if possible =)

i believe this first one is a red marble double ray crowntail. is this correct?

this one i am not really sure on. he looks to be a silver and red butterfly double ray, but again, im not positive. this is the one id like help with identifying.

thanks for any help!
Jay
maineiacjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #2 
CandiceMM

I love those CT's!!! Wow!!! I think your correct on colors, but I am not the best to ask that so im sure some body can answer that for you. Do you have any names yet?
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #3 
maineiacjay

thank you! no names quite yet, but id be open to suggestions!

i adore the red marble, his dorsal is incredible if you consider the length. the middle layer of white on the caudal fins is actually almost a metallic, it shines in the light. i almost missed this fishie, my fiance pointed him out to me. i only had plans to get one fish and my eye was set on the second, but i just had to scoop them both up! lol

the silver is also shiny which makes me wonder if he is actually a lighter metallic blue as he does have a blue hue to him.

here is another view

im considering breeding them and i have a couple red females on order. i asked a former betta breeder her oppinion and she said that the combo could produce some nice colors. and i may request a couple blues as well as they might combine better with the second male. i know that if the first betta is a marble that he may change in color, but id like to try and see what i can produce.

Last edited by maineiacjay; 10-05-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #4 
emeraldmaster

I can only see the male right above me, and he is amazing! He reminds me of a raging fire...
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #5 
Hahenry22

Any chance you are a Dexter fan? The red one reminds me of the blood splatter patterns he works on on the show. (Sorry if that's too gruesome!)
Hahenry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 
maineiacjay

emeraldmaster - your right, like the blue flames on a hot fire the first male, if you cant see it, is my avatar also, its smaller but hopefully you can at least see that. i dont know why it wouldnt show for you.

HaHenry22 - actually, i am a Dexter fan and it does remind me of blood, so maybe ill name him Dexter
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #7 
Hahenry22

Oh great! They are both gorgeous! Do you mind me asking where you got them? Currently, all my bettas have come from Petsmart or Petco. I'm interested in ordering a betta soon and trying to figure out the best places/people to order from. I would prefer to order from someone located in the US.
Hahenry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 
BettaQi

Stunning!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #9 
nel3

i once had a chance to get a silver CT but came too late. your silver CT is just stunning, reminds me of the Silver Surfer.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #10 
maineiacjay

thanks BettaQi
nel3 - that stinks. it was luck i found this guy, but im glad i did

Hahenry22 - i actually got them from my local pet store. its not a large or big business pet store, they only have two stores total. they focus on aquatics and birds (their larger sister store is more than half aquatics). they get small orders in but i really dont know where they get them from (the only drawback). i just happened to be there the day they got their new bettas in and first saw the Platinum (ha! its been discovered - platinum with red wash) and grabbed him and then my fiance pointed out the marble. there are other really nice bettas there (a few pretty spade tails, some dragon scale PKs, and an iridescent DT beauty that im still considering going back for!) but i think these two were the best. the others were more solid colors, though some very deep reds and blues.

not knowing where they come from is the only drawback to getting them from the store. i really dont know the genetic background but i think im willing to take the risk and breed these two. looking at the other bettas they had gave me the impression that they are from a decent source. they looked to be in great shape (young, good colors, healthy looking) upon arrival and i know this store takes great care of them while they are there. i know its a chance, but where im just beginning my hobby in breeding, i dont want to start with a $40 betta only to fail. gotta start somewhere right?