Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 
Shadyr

Wierdness with plants?

This has happened twice now. I added a (previously quarantined) new plant to Lavatail's tank and within 1-2 days he gets some kind of alarming looking gunk hanging off his rays. It doesn't seem to bother him, the first time I QT'd him and he ended up getting treated for pretty much everything - in the end, I only got his rays clear by literally pinching the stuff off them. As you can imagine, he did not appreciate that one bit. I have added plants from quarantine to my other fish tanks and those fish do not have this reaction.

Any thoughts on what might be the base issue here? (Two different plants on the two occasions, fwiw. A water wisteria and a hygrophila)

Lavatail is our challenge fish - I secretly suspect he is immuno compromised, which is why I want him to have LOTS of healthy greenery.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 
asukabetta

bumping for u
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #3 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Please do not Bump threads in Bettafish.com
Please refer to BF rules:
11) Do not resurrect or bump threads without reason.
Please do not post to a thread that has not received a reply in a long time unless you have something substantive to add that is not more appropriate in a new thread. Similarly, please use "bumps" sparingly and do not bump your thread unless/until a significant amount of time has passed without it receiving replies.
Thank You for your cooperation.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #4 
jsgossamer

could it possibly be dead leaves from the plants? The dead leaves get kind of clearish brown looking and may look gunky. Maybe the fish you are noticing it on is just lighter than the others?
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Please do not Bump threads in Bettafish.com
Please refer to BF rules:
11) Do not resurrect or bump threads without reason.
Please do not post to a thread that has not received a reply in a long time unless you have something substantive to add that is not more appropriate in a new thread. Similarly, please use "bumps" sparingly and do not bump your thread unless/until a significant amount of time has passed without it receiving replies.
Thank You for your cooperation.
I'm sorry I was bumping so he could get help cause honestly I didn't know how to reply and I feel bad that he didn't get a reply. First time I ever bump anything, well-- anyways I will keep to the rules then.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 
registereduser

I don't think it was a bad thing to bump this thread. Worse things are going on in this forum than this
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #7 
redchigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I don't think it was a bad thing to bump this thread. Worse things are going on in this forum than this

Feel free to report them; Technically even this conversation is off-topic, and not helping the OP.

Back on topic:
Could it be algae?

Last edited by redchigh; 11-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #8 
Shadyr

I pinched the stuff off again and it hasn't returned. No idea what it was, it didn't seem to impact his behaviour. Other than he is warier of fingers now. *shrugs* Hopefully the current set of plants has a happy long life so that I don't have to deal with that particular ...whatever...again.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote