Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 
asukabetta

Otos, I'm caring them for a friend... need advice

I don't know if this is the appropiate section, but my friend is moving and he left me in my care two otos, he asked me since I had a betta tanks and knows that they are somewhat compatible with them.

He also wanted me to care for his 7 guppies, 3 zebra fishies and 5 cherry shrimp but I said that that would be too many to take care of. (PLus his two 10 gallon tanks doesn't fit in my room and I had no idea he was a fish lover lol till now)

Thing is I think 2,5 gallon home where Cheshire is at, not blueberry because he doesnt' appreciate other fishies or anything funky buisness. Is rather small and crowded for 2 small otocinculus.

Plus I do not have algae growing in the tank to feed them constantly so I've been dropping algae wafers in a make-do 1 gallon square tank. (Old square vase lol)

However he didn't give me any instructions at all about the otos, and when I asked he said they eat algae from my tank >_>. So I've been dropping algae wafers every day (a very small portion) and performing daily water changes because the wafer disolves and gets the water white within hours...

All I know is they graze constantly for food, but no idea how often I should feed them wafers. Every day? every other day?

I tried blanched veggies but they ignore them...

I hope I can feed them every 2 days cause the water gets really nasty after the wafer.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say when there is non in the tank remember otos need high oxygen and a twenty gallon good luck.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

I actually had a oto in a 3 gallon, and was doing changes every 3 days. I currently have an oto in a 5 gallon right now, but I feel like all of those fish are going to need at least a 10 gallon o.o
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They are schooling plan on getting more active need a good amount on food need clean water and are active that is why they need a twenty.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #5 
asukabetta

well... they aren't my fish so I aint gonna buy a 20 gallon tank but I will tell him to buy it himself, that's why I have them in a seperate tank, um... so How often do I feed them?
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #6 
candyman995

I have 3 in a 10g and they seem to enjoy the space, haven't been any trouble yet and there quite mature at the moment. I feed mine a half a waffer in the morning and evening if they dont go for it usually means they've been grazing the algea. If they dont eat it the shrimps enjoy an extra snack
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 
Alcemistnv

As Candy said.
I usually give mine a wafer, but she's usually scarfing down the algae, so it just sits there lol
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I would say when there is non in the tank remember otos need high oxygen and a twenty gallon good luck.
WOW. where did you get that information from? It seems like you are here to make people even more worried.

maybe you could blanch some cucumber for them every couple of days? Also, KK(kritter keepers) are usually very reasonable and you can but them up to 8 gallons. That might be a good investment :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote