Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #1 
sainthogan

adding a tank mate (snail)

Ok, I've decided to get a snail for Fishy's tank mate. What is a good type of snail to have? I would like something that's relatively easy to care for (as I'm assuming most snails are). Obviously, I don't want anything small that Fishy could potentially eat.
Also, are there any things I need to know before I add the snail to the tank such as do I need to acclimate it to the tank as I would a fish? Do I need to acclimate Fishy to it by floating it for a while? Should I keep it separate from her for a while?
I got pond snails from a nearby pond for my tropical aquarium years ago as a teenager, but they kept "disappearing". They were quite small and it turns out my fish were eating them.

These may seem like silly questions regarding a snail, but after everything Fishy has already gone through, I'd like to make sure I do things correctly.

Thanks.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 
megaredize

a nerite snail would be good. they cannot reproduce in fresh water and take care of algae well also. i would acclimate the snail the same way you do a fish. leave the bag in the tank to acclimate and you can add a bit of your water to the bag but snail are usually hardy. Nerites are big enough that your fish cannot eat it. they usually come with really neat shell patterns too.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote