Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 6 other girls

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator(prime)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Haven't checked yet, immediately took her out.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? red belly, white fuzz on red spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? fins clamped, lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? took her out into hospital tank with warm water, water changes with aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? unsure, just got her

Felicia, my blue/green finned female appears to have a fungal infection. I've never dealt with one. Any tips? How likely is it the other girls are affected? What can I do for them as well as her?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

Okay, I'm kind of horrified at the moment, in only a few short hours it has gone from bad to terrifyingly bad. Any advice at all would be great, or should I continue as I am?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

Okay I know, sorry I keep bumping the post, but here are some pictures of her now. :S She got beat up a bit yesterday, but I didn't see any fuzz. I guess the injury left her immune system lowered enough for this to sink in. I swear, I can sit there and watch it get bigger!

She looks SO uncomfortable. I think she's dead almost every time I look in there.

Oh also in the first post, by 20L I meant 20 gallon long. That might not have been clear. Currently she's in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank. Bowl was her when I was water changing
Attached Images

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-05-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #4 
jeremywadejunior

The red sores and "fungus" growth say bacteria infection, to me (Columnaris). Unfortunately I don't have much experience with treatment, but I'd recommend you get her some anti-bacterial medication ASAP. There are two different kinds of Columnaris, acute and chronic. Acute cases tend to progress very quickly and can be fatal quickly. Chronic cases progress much more slowly.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Shoot, with how fast it's spreading it looks acute. Will get medication at petstore tomorrow when I go to work.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #6 
jeremywadejunior

I'll be doing the same, as two of my fish are developing an early case. I have done a bit of research, and Mardel products appear to get good reviews.

I hope she gets better!!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

Little update. She seems to have knocked off the huge chunk of fungus, but a big piece of her skin came with it. Like a line of red, and it looks like someone sliced her with an x-acto knife. Horrifying. Hopefully at least with the fungus off and the clean water she will be able to heal. She's lost her entire bottom fin.

I do see fungus in her mouth now, though. Augh.

Good news--she ate two pellets tonight.

So you think the maracyn products will work for columnaris? I thought they were considered to be unable to work for this disease last I heard. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #8 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Little update. She seems to have knocked off the huge chunk of fungus, but a big piece of her skin came with it. Like a line of red, and it looks like someone sliced her with an x-acto knife. Horrifying. Hopefully at least with the fungus off and the clean water she will be able to heal. She's lost her entire bottom fin.

I do see fungus in her mouth now, though. Augh.

Good news--she ate two pellets tonight.

So you think the maracyn products will work for columnaris? I thought they were considered to be unable to work for this disease last I heard. I could be wrong though.
Oh, dear :( It definitely sounds like a bacterial infection.

Yes, I definitely do. Anything that works on gram negative bacteria should work on Columnaris. I have heard of successful recoveries with the Maracyn Plus antibacterial therapy, as well as with Maracyn Two.

If you have any aquarium salt, I would use that, too, since it helps heal skin.

The fungus medication can't really do anything since this isn't a fungus.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

She's already in the salt right now. She definitely looks uncomfortable in the way she moves when she does try to swim. If she survives the night and lives til I get back from work for my lunch break we'll start the medication. So do you think maracyn plus or maracyn 2 (or the 1+2 combo?) for her recovery?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
She's already in the salt right now. She definitely looks uncomfortable in the way she moves when she does try to swim. If she survives the night and lives til I get back from work for my lunch break we'll start the medication. So do you think maracyn plus or maracyn 2 (or the 1+2 combo?) for her recovery?
That's what I will be buying tomorrow for my fish's infection. I've never had to treat Columnaris before so I'm not sure of how it works, but I've heard good things.

Also, does she have her heater? Is it adjustable?