Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, or even just 50%. Yeah, you don't need the main tank's water. You're going to have to do 100% changes daily anyways for 10 days. (<- I forgot to post this) IAL is really hard to find in pet stores, most people buy them online. Don't you have oak leaves around?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #12 
SirGrizz

No oak leaves here in miami lol. Could try the LFS when I get the chance though.

You think the AQ salt would be good enough? 100% change everyday so 1 tsp AQ salt everyday? also plan on buying that tank it's own heater just to pump up the heat to around 82 degrees what do you think?

Also back to my main question, for the new tanks bacteria what should I do? the old filter is there but it won't have anything as it hasnt been used in a few months. Should I transfer any gravel or decorations from the home tank?
SirGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, AQ Salt will do wonders. :) 100% everyday with 1 teaspoon for each change.

So the old filter is in the 10 gallon but it's been off for a few months? And you have another tank that's already cycled? I'm sorry if I missed a lot of stuff, I was more concerned for your female. Gravel and decorations in a cycled tank transported to the new tank will help new tanks get more bacteria.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #14 
SirGrizz

Actually, my home tank is running 2 filters so I can just use 1 of them in the 2.5 gal, even though it's rated for 10 gal. I will make it 2 gallons full just so i can easily keep track of it, how much of it should be old tank water? And is it okay to use gravel and decorations I have laying around in a drawer that used to be in my first bettas tank? I do plan on using a plant from the home tank and a scoop of gravel from it as well

I should note that my quarantine tank is in a drawer with just the gravel and decorations sitting in it.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

It would be hard to cycle a tank under 5 gallons, and the current might be too strong as the filter was made for 10. As I said before, the tank water doesn't need to be from the cycled tank. Just do what you want to do. Yeah, it should be fine. Remember to wash the decorations first. So let me get this straight, the QT tank is 2.5 gallons and you want it to be cycled? But for now, it's in a drawer? My god. I really suck at remembering stuff. Lol
Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #16 
NyaNyanNaa

I don't think Petco sells those but you can get them off of Aquabid I believe.

Also, just normal live floating plants are lovely since they reduce stress on some betta's since the cover of the plants makes them feel more secure.
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #17 
SirGrizz

yep you are correct its sitting there with just the gravel and decor from my previous betta, i actually put a part of a plastic bottle on the filter where the water comes down so it kind of muffles the flow and I plan on baffling the filter so the betta wont get stuck again
Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #18 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, OK. (; Well, good luck! Oh, and I agree with Nya, floating plants will help with ammonia and provide cover.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #19 
NyaNyanNaa

Yeah. I plan on getting a few for my betta next time I go out.

Also, I had to reduce the low of my filter just a few minutes ago. This helped alot: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-betta-115070/ (Just use your Bettafish.com log in!)

I'm not really sure if that's what were discussing at the moment but, xD
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #20 
SirGrizz

ok perfect thanks a lot guys, I'll post a pic of my little rig once I go out a buy a couple things for it and get her settled in.