Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenr3134 View Post
i just tested his water and it seems to have turned out right!
What test kit did you use? what were the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Quote:
the real question is how often should i change his water and how much of it. im trying to figure out how long it takes for the tank to circulate properly. my husaband says around 2 months it gets the right levels of everything and the tank is perfectly safe.
I suggested a typical water change schedule in my last post. Here's the opinion of an expert: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ations-115758/

Quote:
he also read that should never vaccum or clean the inside of the tank because you need that film to protect the fish. i just noticed after changing his tank the last time that he is sort of glued to the filter. don't know what to do. (
He's referring to the nitrogen cycle, the process of growing beneficial bacteria in your tank which convert deadly ammonia into safe chemicals. Fish are safer and healthier in a cycled tank. Here's the easiest way to do it: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

It would be easier for you to cycle a 5 gal tank, and safer for your fish. Read as much as you can and ask questions. We're here to help.

Oh...a gravel vac and siphon are two names for the same thing. They have them at your fish store. Get the smallest cheapest one they have. Over the long run, they are considered disposable.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #12 
athenr3134

well the nitrate and nitrite were both at 0 i believe well one was at 40 all the readings were where they said was the safest for the first. I read somewhere that i should change 50% every two weeks which is what i should do. I don't really have to vacuum because I have a lot of gravel at the bottom what I might do is later on get rid of the gravel and have nothing on the bottom except the lounge chair the moss ball and his plants (fake ones). yes my husband was talking about a nitrogen cycle.
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #13 
Gale

Quote:
well the nitrate and nitrite were both at 0 i believe well one was at 40 all the readings were where they said was the safest for the first. I read somewhere that i should change 50% every two weeks which is what i should do. I don't really have to vacuum because I have a lot of gravel at the bottom what I might do is later on get rid of the gravel and have nothing on the bottom except the lounge chair the moss ball and his plants (fake ones). yes my husband was talking about a nitrogen cycle.

Having alot of gravel makes a vacuum even more of a necessity. Lots of algae, uneaten food, waste etc falls down in the gravel. You've got to stir things up and remove it regularly otherwise you could have a problem. Also, 50% every 2 weeks seems a little dangerous for a 2.5 gallon tank.

And 40 as a reading for what? That doesn't sound good at all, particularly if it's Ammonia or Nitrite.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #14 
athenr3134

I think it was nitrate. I'd have to look at the stick, but I've got aoss ball in there going to get another make it work better.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm sorry, I missed that art about being "glued to the filter." Do you mean the suction of the filter is pulling him against the filter and he's having a hard time getting off?

Turn the filter off. You don;t really need a filter n a small tank. Just do the recommended water changes.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #16 
athenr3134

K will do, but a filter helps prolong his life. Will make it easier for me clean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #17 
crowntaillove

I didn't think you could cycle a tank that small. (That may very well just be a misunderstanding on my part)
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #18 
athenr3134

This tank came with a filter.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #19 
NorthernLights

cycling

I believe OldFishLady has some helpful comments on cycling a smaller tank in this http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115361 thread.

What kind of filter do you have? A power filter? A sponge filter? An undergravel filter (UGF)?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #20 
lelei

I am using this gravel vaccuum, and it works great, I love it and It is in different sizes, but this one does a 3 gal and a 5 gal tank efficiently:)
Also in regard to filters, I just had a problem with a filter, and in smaller tanks, they are not good, fish do get caught in the suction, or have a problem navigating the current.

http://www.petco.com/product/114921/...l-Cleaner.aspx

Last edited by lelei; 10-08-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added wrong link..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote