Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #1 
labloverl

My first fish-in cycle

I'm trying to cycle a 3.5 gallon with a small power filter. I set the tank up and added the fish on 10-4-12.

My first question is how much water do I change? I tested ammonia today and it looked between 0 and .25. So how do I know how much water to change? I haven't tested the other parameters yet, but again, based on the readings, how do I know how much to change?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Hi Lablover! Sorry, but a 3.5 gallon wont be able to hold a stable cycle. You need to doing one 50% water change and one 100% water change a week.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #3 
labloverl

Really :(......
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

MyRainboBetta Fish,

Since successful experiments performed last spring by me and a few others, many members have achieved stable cycles in 2.5g tanks. I should have kept a list.

The secret is: lots of filter foam or other media in a high-flow area like the filter to provide area for the colony, as well as plenty of aeration/oxygenation.

LL,

Do a 50% before ammonia reaches 0.25ppm.

If you've used enough seeded media from your other tank, you may not even get to that point.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #5 
labloverl

I thought that I had extra foam in my 10 gallon tank, but I didn't. :( In my cycled 5 gallon, the filter cartridge is like a bag (whisper 2-10i), but I do have foam stuffed into the intake. I don't suppose that would work though...
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

I have cycled my 3.5 gallon, and I can pass you some tips. :)

I usually did water changes whenever I felt like it needed one, but remember 2 water changes at least per week. I always did 50% changes and remember not to mess with the gravel that much. IME you should add plants on the 2nd week as the water changes will usually take up the ammonia. But remember, that's suggested from me if you want to add plants. Just try to keep the tank dark, have the filter on high if the is Betta not disturbed, and add any media from cycled tanks to yours. Have any other questions? Oh, and I used a sponge filter for the needed surface area and it cycled in 20 days. I don't know why... But it did. I'm sure I told you that in your other thread..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
but I do have foam stuffed into the intake. I don't suppose that would work though...
That's exactly what you need. Put that into your new filter and put some new foam into that intake. Get some cycled gravel and put it into the flow of the new filer.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #8 
labloverl

Thanks for the tips LTB. That's so cool that your's cycled in 20 days! My 5 gallon took 27 days and that was with seeded media from my 10 gallon.

Hallyx, Great! It's not much, but then again the 3.5 gallon filter is pretty small. I do have gravel from the 10 gallon in there, along with a fake plant.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Thanks for the tips LTB. That's so cool that your's cycled in 20 days! My 5 gallon took 27 days and that was with seeded media from my 10 gallon.
Yeah, it's weird. Good luck!! (; Oh, and you know when you're supposed to change the water when it's cycled, right? Most people think it's still 2 50% changes but you could always do 1 75% per week.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #10 
labloverl

So how much should I mess with the gravel? I haven't vacuumed it at all yet, as I wasn't sure if I was supposed to.

It just went a few days before the ammonia started climbing.