Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

New rescuer. Advice please

Alright so I am going to be rescuing bettas. So far I have 5 one gal containers that are wider but shoter which I figured would be perfect because the fish can easily get too the top with severre fin rot. 5 mini heaters these were hard to find but I found some smaller fully submersible adjustable heaters thet fit nicely in the tanks if I put them sideways. 5 themometers I didn't want huge ones but ended up with them anyways because I could not find smaller ones. They can go in okay but still are a little big lol. I also will put smaller plant clippings in to help clean the water. I was not planning on gravel and sand would make it harder to clean but should I? I have stress coat, IAL, epsom salts, aquarium salts, and ick guard should I have anything else? I also got these little lights with suction cups that you can stick on the side of a tank and the light is blue I thought it would work good because the light is not too bright but I can still see the little guys. I also have 3 unused 10 gals and a 5 gal I plan on using once the little guys have gotten a little better. Is there any suggestions you can make? I will regularly clean the tanks with a turkey baster. What do you think of my set up plans? Any advice for me?
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 
Creat

First thing good for you for trying to help, then second try to talk managers to trying to get it for free and not support another betta taking its place and being abused.
These are the tips I can offer for you . You never know what you are going to run into I suggest buying maracide, maracyn 1 and 2 and clout those I think I could never live without. But having fish for so long I have collected so so many others. Get some net dip! It helps cleanse equipment (turkey baster, net etc. and stop the spread of disease. Also look into getting some wads of java moss its wonderful hardy live plant and if you accidentally kill some (which I have never been able to do with meds ) its cheap and reproduces its self and does fine in low light. You will want to set aside time to do 100% water changes on all of them everyday. I suggest investing in a large trash can to always have water prepared and ready its also great to age with ial leaves. Good luck !
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Thanks Creat I will not be buying rescues unless they are free\ discounted in price as I will not be helping petstores abuse fish! The first place for rescues is pj's pets they have all animals in horrible filthy cages bettas and fish tanks are unberable they are the reason I have decided to rescue bettas I once saw a little red baby that was in a little better shape than heatbreaker when CandiceMM first got him it was horrible! Thanks for the input!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #4 
Creat

I have taken in lots of betta and rehomed them in my spare time :) Best of luck. I can also say try to pick fighters I had a girl with severe dropsy for a month survive and I kept helping becuase she just kept going. Even fish not even that bad I have seen end up dead and because they couldnt fight. But some in super bad shape survive because they just have the will to.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #5 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

True bettas like any animals can and will fight for there life untill the very end! These fish should be more appreciated because they are fighters!