Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #11 
CooperS

Thanks :) And I'll be sure to read up a lot on the process before doing it.

~CooperS
CooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #12 
CooperS

I've read the sticky about cycling and I think I am going to use pure ammonia to cycle. It specifically says to use pure ammonia, but I've found this, which is ammonium chloride, but says for use in cycling tanks. Is this okay to use?

And would you mind clarifying something for me? How often should I do water changes for a 5 gallon tank that has a bacteria colony?

~CooperS

Last edited by CooperS; 10-07-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Dr Tim's ammonia (ammonium chloride) is a quality product (it had better be for the price). He has a bottled bacteria product called One-and-Only which will speed up the cycle quite a bit. Not cheap, but it really cuts down the cycle time.

He has instructions for using these products on his website. Fishless Cycling | DrTim's Aquatics

Alternatively, you can use the pure ammonium chloride, (ammonia is sort of the slang term) which does NOT foam when shaken, sold by Ace Hardware. Tetra Safestart, which is virtually the same product also developed by Dr Tim Hovanec, should be available at your LFS.

Tips while cycling is in progress:

---Turn filter on high
---Temperature >80*
---Aerate with sponge filter or airstone or waterfall filter
---Keep tank dark

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-08-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #14 
CooperS

Thanks :) I think I am going to go with this tank. Supposedly the filter is not too strong for bettas and it has an opening for the heater. Is it okay that it's not a sponge filter?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #15 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I have a 5 gallon tank with the bio -wheel and like it the only thing with the bio wheels is they can take longer to cycle then the sponge filters. I have the Hexgon shaped same brand just different shape and love it. It is hard to say how much longer it take cause I had a 28 hour power outage right in the middle of my tank cycling, I did a fish in cycle. I think the total time it took to complete the cycle was close to two months give or take a week or two.

As far as heaters goes I have this one and its doing great

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...h+tank+heaters
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #16 
CooperS

Great thanks :) Quick question though...after I am done cycling, how do I get all my decorations from the old tank into the new one? If I poor the water out, won't it ruin the cycle? Do I just keep the water someone and pour it back in? And also, where is the bacteria located that you cycle for? Is it in the water or on the side of the tank or what?

~CooperS
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #17 
MissLyss1024

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents :) I have a 10 gallon complete tank that I got from WalMart for $30. The filter was strong so I baffled it using a plastic soda bottle (there's a link on here somewhere for that). I choose to do a fish-in cycle in my tank which consists of keeping a close eye on water parameters and I do a weekly 50% water change. It was completely cycled after about a month although I still do water changes of about 25% every week. Also, with a 10 gallon tank you can divide it and have two bettas instead of one like I did :)
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The nitrifying bacteria are stuck to everything in your tank (including the fish). They're in the substrate, on the walls, on the decor, on the plants and, especially. in the filter. There's not much in the water itself, so it's OK to do large water changes ans to remove decor, etc. without losing the cycle. (just don't let that stuff dry out).

You said, "...how do I get all my decorations from the old tank into the new one?"

It's not clear to me why you would be removing anything from your cycled tank.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling heater test kit