Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What religion are you?
Athiest 3 9.38%
Agnostic 4 12.50%
Roman Catholic 7 21.88%
Protestant 0 0%
Eastern Orthodox Christian 0 0%
Other Christian 6 18.75%
Sunni Muslim 0 0%
Shia Muslim 0 0%
Hindu 0 0%
Sikh 0 0%
Bhuddhist 2 6.25%
Taoist/Confusianism 0 0%
Shinto 0 0%
Wicca 0 0%
African Tribal Religions 0 0%
Pagan 3 9.38%
New Religious Movements (please name) 0 0%
Jewish 0 0%
Other (please name) 1 3.13%
I don't adhere to any specific religion 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #21 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
it's amazing. there is a god or goddess i can turn to for just about anything. they all have so much to offer, and all they ask for in return is that i carry myself with honor, valour and courage. the gods don't ever want to see me on my knees begging like a servant, but standing before them as a man.
Not gonna lie, that's really cool, and you have major respect points :D
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #22 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Not gonna lie, that's really cool, and you have major respect points :D
thanks! if anyone's interested, i would love to recommend taking a look at the Eddas (Prose and Poetic) even if you don't believe what i do, they're still filled with the kind of epic stories and adventures that modern writers just can't put on paper. i've always loved the story of Thrym the giant: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/coo/coo16.htm (in a simplified format, since the Eddas can be a bit difficult to understand at first)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #23 
twolovers101

Quote:
thanks! if anyone's interested, i would love to recommend taking a look at the Eddas (Prose and Poetic) even if you don't believe what i do, they're still filled with the kind of epic stories and adventures that modern writers just can't put on paper. i've always loved the story of Thrym the giant: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/coo/coo16.htm (in a simplified format, since the Eddas can be a bit difficult to understand at first)
Haha!!! that's an awesome story :D My fiance and I shared quite the laugh, thank you for sharing :)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #24 
eaturbyfill

Quote:
thanks! if anyone's interested, i would love to recommend taking a look at the Eddas (Prose and Poetic) even if you don't believe what i do, they're still filled with the kind of epic stories and adventures that modern writers just can't put on paper. i've always loved the story of Thrym the giant: The Children of Odin: Part II. Odin the Wanderer: 6. How Thor and Loki Befooled Thrym the Giant (in a simplified format, since the Eddas can be a bit difficult to understand at first)
I'll be looking into getting a copy for my Kindle. I love learning about different religions, it's fascinating! Thank you very much for sharing this on the forum.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #25 
LionCalie

I don't adhere to any specific religion, but if I had to define my beliefs I would say Agnosticism describes them best.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #26 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Thankyou everyone for voting and sharing your stories. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #27 
SnowySurface

I didn't become Roman Catholic in the usual way. So this post is a bit long winded.

I was born Baptist because both my parents were Baptist when I was born. But after they broke up, my Dad stayed Baptist but didn't practice much and my Mom became agnostic over time. By the time I was in 4th grade, my Grandma started to bug my Mom about my faith because she wasn't doing anything to bring me into a Baptist church. Now for anyone who thinks my Grandma was worried about me burning for all eternity, you're right, but that isn't the main reason.

My Grandma raised me from age 6 until college and she put me in private school because my hometown school district sucks to this day and she's Roman Catholic. I was in second grade and all the catholic kids had already gotten their First Communion and could receive the Body and Blood during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. So when it was my row's turn to get on line, I stayed seated like I was supposed to until the teacher was a few rows up and then suck on the line with a different row. My teacher caught me before the priest put anything in my hand but it still led to an interesting call to my Grandma that day.

That's why my Grandma challenged my Mom. By 10 years old I was a "Baptist" who attended mass for Christmas and Easter, Roman Catholic Liturgies and Confession at a Roman Catholic school, wrote letters to the Pope as homework assignments, and still obviously felt left out when it was time to receive Communion because I wore my heart on my sleeve. Needless to say that didn't make me very Baptist. So Grandma decided to ask me if I wanted to join her church and be Roman Catholic like her or join my Uncle's or Dad's church and be Baptist like them. When I picked Catholic, Grandma let my Mom know she was going to be my sponsor for my Baptism and First Holy Communion unless my Mom wanted to step up and make me Baptist instead.

I think everyone can tell how my Mom responsed to that standoff.

In hindsight, I didn't really have a choice because it's not like my Grandma would let me become Wicca, Pagan, or any other faith that doesn't involve Jesus. I also realize that even in terms of Christian options, the only options I honestly had were Roman Catholic like my Grandma or Baptist like my Uncle and Dad. So it's not like saying, "No I don't want to be Baptist or Catholic. Is there a third option," would have ended well.

But since I'm currently a Roman Catholic Lector who still goes to church (even if I miss a few Sundays in a row ^_^;) I don't regret my "choice".
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #28 
ThePearlFish

I am agnostic. I am spiritual, but not religious. I feel like there may or may not be a higher power or spiritual being/s (or something else?) guiding us (who knows?).

I almost feel as if my 'religion' is my own made up beliefs about the world and that is what I follow in life.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #29 
Meggie6347

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Technically I'm "non-denominational" Christian. I grew up in a Bible Church setting, and have found one I like in the town I currently live in.

My fiance and I believe in Love, and loving everyone no matter what their background/history whatever. We do our best to love everyone equally and have level heads when talking to people and discussing issues. We are very logic oriented, and honestly with us, you can be whatever religion you want, we don't care, we're still your friends and we'll do anything in our power to help you....
That's basically it lol

Me too! I am technically "non-denominational," but I believe that there is only really one true Christianity, one true religion, but for this sake I will say I am.

I accepted Christ and became a true Christian when I was 7, but it wasn't until just last year that I really began to feel that passions for Christ...when I was little, I always tried to do what I knew He wanted met to do, but it was just because I knew I SHOULD do it. And now that I have that feeling, it's really hard to explain, but He has become the CENTER of my life, and it is the first year that I really, truly know who I am, as a person and in Christ. I now do what I do because I WANT to please and glorify Him, not because I know I should...prayer is always my first response to anything that happens. I am a legitimately happier person and people around me can always see it. Whenever I start to get upset, I pray, and my anger evaporates...I reall couldn't imagine not being a Christian. Because it is the truth and it is my life. People sometimes say that becoming a Christian would mean a life of prison, but it really frees you....more than anything else has the capability to do.

Even if you aren't a Christian, (but especially if you are) check out the mark of the lion series...I forget who it is by, but you can probably easily find it...it really strengthened my faith and encouraged me, and even if you aren't a Christian, it is a wonderful read!

Last edited by Meggie6347; 10-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #30 
Jupiter

It's slightly complicated. My whole family's Muslim (Shia, to be precise) and so I was considered Muslim too, despite never being religious or having any real belief in god. I went along with it as a kid because I didn't know there was an alternative.

When I was old enough I figured I'd just come out and say I'm an atheist, there's not much point in labeling myself Muslim if I didn't do anything related to religion or believe in the biggest aspect of religion, IE Allah/a god. My immediate family isn't really religious anyway and they're quite open minded so they had no problems with it.

That being said, I still like Islam as a religion and what little I practiced back then (not eating pork or drinking, trying to dress modestly) I still do for the most part.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote