Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #1 
LuckyBlue

Opinions and Advice Please

LuckyBlue is having fin problems.

He was in a divided 6 gallon tank with LittleBlue.

He somehow got across onto LittleBlue's side.

Neither of them seemed to me too hurt... a bit of fin damage but not that much.

Over the next week or so though, Lucky's fins started sticking together.

I took him out and put him in a one gallon. Changes every 3rd day. Temp is 80. He wasn't swimming much either. I use Avi Stress Coat on all my Betta's when I change the water. That was 4 weeks ago.

He has his personality back.... wiggles when I wave at him.. gets excited when I feed him .. even tries to jump for it.....

The problem.... his fins are in terrible condition.... all stuck together.

I bought some Aquarium salt yesterday .. thinking about trying that. Should I do that... here's the before and after pics...... I love LuckyBlue! I have had him since March. I want to help his fins!
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 
LuckyBlue

Lucky pics

Before and after
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #3 
LuckyBlue

No one has any advice for me?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

second picture? Is that how he looks right now? He looks perfectly fine :)Wow gorgeous betta!
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

sorry you probably meant first picture that how he looks right now. I would use aquarium salt. Do you know instructions?
How often and how much you was doing water changes for 6 gall?

Last edited by ANHEL123; 10-07-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #6 
LuckyBlue

Not really. I have never used salt and was hoping he'd get better with lots of water changes, but it has been over a month... I went ahead and changed his water today and added 1/2 tsp of aqu. salt.... should I change him everyday 100%?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Yes you need daily water changes.pre mix 2tsp/gall in one gall jug for the right dosage. If you don't have one gall pre mix it in the cup. Don't add it directly to his tank. Do daily water changes for 10 days. No longer and finish whole course of the 10 days.
When you change the water daily make sure new water the same temperature as his. You can use aged water. Put water conditioner and let it sit for abut 24 hrs this way it will be the same temperature. And if you need warmer you can add warmer water. Do you have thermometer to check the temperature?

Or also you can acclimate him by adding a little bit new pre mix water to his changing cup and let him stay for about 5 min in that water to get used to . Do it about 3 times to acclimate him to new water chemistry/ temperature.

If you can find a source of tannins that may help as well. Indian Almond Leaf or naturally dried oak leaves work.

How is your other betta doing? Keep him in super clean water:)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #8 
LuckyBlue

2 tsp seems like so much. Are you sure?

I'm good with all the other things; temp, acclimating.

I could probably find some oak leaves, but that makes me nervous,,, people really do this?

I'm a bit scared to do these things, but as he hasn't gotten better, I must do something.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

Aquarium salt dosage can be 1tsp up to 3tsp/gall depending on severity. You can start with 1 tsp for a few days see if it helps and then increase it up to 2 tsp/gall. I think his fins looks kind of bad :( I would do 2 tsp actually.

About oak leaves it release tannins in the water. I didn't do it but people on the forum that i know and i trust , who treat betta for long time recommending that. Tannins have antibacterial proprties and also help to acidify the water and turn it dark colored. This simulates a betta's natural habitat which can help put the betta at ease. The tannins will help to combat infection.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #10 
LuckyBlue

I've changed it twice with just 1/2 teaspoon of salt as the Agua. Salt I purchased said to use for a 1 gallon. His fins are bad as you say. Tomorrow, I'll try a teaspoon and see if I can work my way up to more. Thanks.