Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 
4everaspirit

Exclamation Help, Minnows At My Door @_@

Omg guys. help help help help help.

Okay, so I was just waking up from a nap when my floormates knocked on my door. I opened to see what was going on and they were like "hey, you have a fish tank right?" (I have a rescued betta in a 5 gallon) and low and behold they held up 4 feeder fish.

It took me about 30 minutes to find out they are minnows. I'm pretty sure. I compared pictures of minnows to what they look like.

I'm so stressed out right now. I don't know what to do. Don't minnows need an aerator? I don't have one @_@ Is there something I can do? Can they live with my female betta in a 5 gallon. Even just temporarily guys. Even advice for temporary solutions would be great as I can figure out what to do when my parents come to pick me up in a week from campus.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Maybe a bit but there are many minnows like rosy red minnows grow 4 inches goldfish grow 12 inches and so on.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #3 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Maybe a bit but there are many minnows like rosy red minnows grow 4 inches goldfish grow 12 inches and so on.
Hi, thanks for your response. They look like this.

Can someone answer me if they can live with my betta or not...or if they need an air stone?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 
4everaspirit

Update:

IT'S ALL GOOD NOW. I released them in a local pond. It was better that way.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Um is this a wild or man-made pond? You should never release fish into any water body that isn't a pond in your backyard or a friend's pond etc. as they can introduce disease and could become a pest depending on the species.

This includes putting them into things like wetlands, lakes, rivers etc.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #6 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Um is this a wild or man-made pond? You should never release fish into any water body that isn't a pond in your backyard or a friend's pond etc. as they can introduce disease and could become a pest depending on the species.

This includes putting them into things like wetlands, lakes, rivers etc.
UMMMMM. I think it was a manmade pond It's really big, like really big. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem. There are apparently other fish in the pond and it is maintained. It was either that or they would have suffocated with me because I don't have a filter or anything that would supply them with oxygen.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah just be careful with releasing fish. I believe it is illegal in a lot of places to do so. Don't want you to get in trouble because of the thoughtless actions of your floormates.

Did you even find out why they had the fish in the first place?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 
mkayum

Those "minnows" are fathead and I do own a 3 or 4 years old fathead minnow and a 3 years old rosy red minnow. They now live in my community tank.

I wonder why do they bring these fish to you in the first place?
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #9 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Yeah just be careful with releasing fish. I believe it is illegal in a lot of places to do so. Don't want you to get in trouble because of the thoughtless actions of your floormates.

Did you even find out why they had the fish in the first place?
If anyone gives me sh*t about relasing them, I'm going to double send it right back to the people who held the event. It was for like some chinese cultural thing. They let people scoop fish and keep them. Terrible idea b/c I'm sure people don't even think when they do it, and they come back home with fish they don't know how to take care of. People from the event that knew me brought me leftover fish.

If anyone, these guys need to get penalized for letting idiots get their hands on sentient beings. Why are the good guys, the ones who actually care about the fish, usually the ones that get punished? Good deeds never go unpunished I guess. I hope it's likely that nothing happens or they won't care. It was just 4 of them in a HUGE pond, and since they maintain it regularly I'm sure they would know how to keep things under control. At least if they do complain, it will give me more reason to get them to ban the catch and keep fish events around here. I have a feeling I might not have been the only one who released fish into the pond...especially if people didn't know what else to do with them.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 10-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #10 
RandyTheBettaFish

Honestly im with you on this 4everaspirit. I would have done the same thing as you.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote