Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #1 
bettababe89

I have no idea whats wrong, pet store fish.

I am a Walmart employee and the fish in my store are well taken care of ( many thanks to ideas from you all)....four or five days ago I was in a different walmart and I saw an employee about to dump a live betta!!! Horrified I spoke to the manager who told me he was sorry and that the fish was dying and they thought it more humane. so i buckled down and brought home a dying betta....I have no idea whats wrong with her other than a bit of fin rot and the fact she was in some seriously dirty water ( kept in back of a super dark shelf)

what I do know:
she is female
feisty at times but mostly just floats in the top of her one gallon holding container.
perhaps swim bladder issue as she appears to be unable to swim/descend in water

almost complete fast since i brought her home. i have given small small amounts of soaked crushed pellets as she seemed hungery and so slightly better today. and one idk, eighth of a cooked shelled pea. as i was advised it would help with bladder. I have conditioned her water as well as added a bit of aquarium salt, a twig, plant,and cut of fern as she seems to need something to rest on.

she floats a bit sideways, so I always
think she is dead when i get home :( but so far mostly the same.
if she dies at least i hope I helped ease her pain. have noticed some bubbles near her resting spot, false hope or good sign??
bettababe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #2 
bettababe89

pics she normally looks supppppper crooked and doesnt even float straight. will try to get better pic showing her odd symptoms
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #3 
sareena79

poor baby, I hope she gets to feeling better soon!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #4 
Gracie8890

My rescue betta is also having swim bladder issues, if shes bloated then try epsom salts. One tsp per gallon of water, its suppost to act as a lax and help clear the bloat(which tends to also cause swim bladder)
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 
bettababe89

thank you much, Im already overly attached. although I have had many fish in my life I've never been quite so attached as with my new betta fish, I love their character