Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 
labloverl

Does this look like tail biting?

This fish has been in a 3/4 gallon quarantine tank for the past 5 days. When my 1.5 gallon quarantine tank became available yesterday, I put him in there. Today I saw that his tail looked like this. Is it just torn or bitten? Since he's in 1.5 gallons, how often should I change the water to keep it clean enough to prevent fin rot? I will soon be adding him to a 5 gallon that is divided with another male.

labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #2 
NyaNyanNaa

Do a 100% water change every other day, also, add in some AQ salt for the fin rot and keep a close eye on him for any tail biting.
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

that looks more like fin rot than tail biting...tail biting presents as large ragged chunks missing, whereas fin rot creates a more ribbony disintegration like what you're seeing here. treat him with some warm, clean water and a bit of aquarium salt to keep his slime coat good and strong so he doesn't get any secondary infections.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

IME, this does look like tail biting. Tail biting is usually like CT fins and little crescent shaped marks through the fins. Just keep his water extra clean for now and see what will happen. His big fins can be the cause if he's tail biting, he's gorgeous BTW..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Most of the time, fin biting does appear like mouth-shaped bits taken out of the fin but on a few occasions, I've had my bettas literally shred their fins into ribbons. So it's a tossup. It's not typical fin biting but I don't see the thick blackened edges I'd expect to see with a bad case of fin rot.

In this case, I'd go with homegrown terror. Fin rot or fin bitting, the warm water and 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon (or alternatively, API Stress Coat or another similar product) will help the fins heal. If, even with the treatment, the fins continue to degrade, you can try changing his decor around or adding a new plant or hidey hole. If he stil continues to have ratty fins, then we might be looking at some other cause. But so far, he looks very healthy to me. :)

High protein foods also help with fin regrowth so if you have frozen bloodworms, feed him plenty of those.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 
labloverl

How long would I keep him on AQ salt?

LTB, thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #7 
Sakura8

14 days maximum.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #8 
labloverl

Ok, thanks!

My first thought was that it had been ripped by the plant in the tank. It is silk, but some of the leaves have fallen off and the soft plastic stems stick up. Plus, he's been whipping his tail and fins around like crazy as he swims around. He likes to flare, so he's been showing off.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #9 
Sakura8

He probably sees that gorgeous tail out of the corner of his eye and thinks it's another betta following him. "Ah ha, I got you now!" *CHOMP*
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #10 
labloverl

Yeah, if only HE thought it was beautiful! Lol!