Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Dropsy?

I have a girl with dropsy, it was from a skin cut that got infected, and I ignored the fact that it was getting bigger *hangs head in shamI should alreayd working on her memorial post, but I still have hope. She is still eating, and hse has energy, and the skin lesion is a direct route for meds to get to her bloodstream, right? I put her on aq salt untill I got to the store, and I got some bettafix and some API like primafix or something, I have her the API thing and I added a few extra drops to er small jar, just because its so bad, and I put her in a warmer tank with my most peaceful male (her jar floating, I'm not stupid) because the girls were flarign at her through the glass, and I don't have a heater for her. I gave her a hammock because she keeps coming up for air. She is very active and keeps swimming around. I knwo I'm probably sayign goodbye, but keep her in your prayers!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Dropsy isn't lesions. It's swelling beneath the skin that causes the scales to stick up (Pineconing).

If it's a lesion, run through what the cause is. Did she get into a fight with any tank mates, did she cut herself on a decoration?

I would personally stick to aquarium salt if it's not exhibiting any fuzz. I also recommend staying away from any of the "fix" medications as they contain tea tree oil which is harmful for the betta's labyrinth organ.

If you feel medication is necessary then I recommend Maracyn or API Erythromycin.

A picture from the side and above would be more helpful with diagnosis.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 
Pogthefish

She has a lesion that got deeper and deeper, and then she developed dropsy, I feel like a terrible owner for putting off buying her medicine >_<
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

She came in with a swollen and red cut, so I think it was alreayd infected, I didn;t do this. She has never had any tank mates.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I never said you did it to her, just that she might have gotten caught on a tank decoration and hurt herself in the process of getting free.

If it's very deep and you think it's infected, then try the Erythromycin or Maracyn. If the first treatment doesn't do anything, then I think you might have to think about euthanasia.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

She died last night :( She got better, then suddenly laid at the bottom and spurratically swam up for air, then she started floating, but breathing, and this morning, I believe she was dead.