Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #1 
NormaCarts

UK betta tank recommendations

Can anybody recommend perfect set ups for a single betta to live in please? Perfect water temperature, plant reommendations, basically a list of everythign to keep a happy single betta...........

I think after much readig i am too scared to add them to live with other fish
NormaCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #2 
clopez1

ok for starters you'll need at least a 2.5 gallon tank, filter that doesn't cause too much of a current but that can be fixed with a baffle to lessen the flow..Baffle could be a sponge put in the filter's outlet to slow down the flow, some people cut out soda bottles, we have stickys on baffles. A heater, a few plants and a few hiding places..Water temp 25 to 27 Celsius..Could be bare bottom, gravel or sand
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #3 
toad

Agree with the above :) When considering tank size, bigger is usually better. I have a single male living in a 10 gallon tank.

I would suggest a sponge filter, or something similar. If you have a plakat or a female, you could use a regular HOB filter, as these fish have less finnage and are better swimmers.

For specific plants, I recommend live ones. Personal favorites are anubias, wisteria (left floating), hornwort, hygros, amazon sword and mosses.

Make sure the heater you get is adjustable :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #4 
NormaCarts

Thanks guys
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #5 
Sivan

Unless you are planning on cycling your tank, which would be easiest with 5 gallons (18.92 liters), a filter is not necessary and is useless unless you plan on keeping it on all the time to cycle. Cycling makes things easier and helps create an optimum living standard for a betta fish but it is not required.

What IS required is a heater, a tank no less than 3.78 liters, a water test kit, hiding places, and food that is not freeze dried and contains at least 38% crude protein. Also, it is important to keep in mind the shape of the tank as well as the size. Like most fish, betta fish prefer horizontal spaces rather than vertical space because it is easier for them to reach surface air and breathe.

Do you have a Pets at Home or local pet shop near you? Where in the UK are you from, the north or south?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #6 
NormaCarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Unless you are planning on cycling your tank, which would be easiest with 5 gallons (18.92 liters), a filter is not necessary and is useless unless you plan on keeping it on all the time to cycle. Cycling makes things easier and helps create an optimum living standard for a betta fish but it is not required.

What IS required is a heater, a tank no less than 3.78 liters, a water test kit, hiding places, and food that is not freeze dried and contains at least 38% crude protein. Also, it is important to keep in mind the shape of the tank as well as the size. Like most fish, betta fish prefer horizontal spaces rather than vertical space because it is easier for them to reach surface air and breathe.

Do you have a Pets at Home or local pet shop near you? Where in the UK are you from, the north or south?
Thank you for your help here.......so are you saying no filter?

I have a pets at home, I am from the Midlands
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 
clopez1

You can go without a filter if you are not going to cycle the tank, but you'll have to do more water changes and larger percentages of water per change.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #8 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaCarts View Post
Thank you for your help here.......so are you saying no filter?

I have a pets at home, I am from the Midlands
I lived in Preston for half a year, which is a short distance from Manchester if you are not familiar with it. It is a small city with a uni and irritating nightlife. It was nice, though, and I liked it. We had a locally owned pet shop that I liked but they did not sell any betta fish. When I found out about the Pets at Home on the other side of town, I saw betta fish for the first time in the UK. They had nice tanks too, so you should not have a hard time finding something that suits your needs.

If you do not want to cycle your tank then do not bother with the filter at all. However, a cycled tank provides better living conditions for your betta fish and means less work for you. A fully cycled tank does not need 100% water changes and that makes things much easier and less stressful for your fish. I would recommend cycling it before you purchase the fish. Do you know much about cycling?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #9 
NormaCarts

Hello!!! Thats really helpful thank you :) I would obvsiouyl want the best for my betta so sounds like a filter is the way to go - cycling I dont really know about? Just to turn everythign on and leave it empty for 4 weeks and then get the water tested to check ph and ammonia levels from what I gather? Any help you can give me would be much appreciated :)

I have definitely decided to get a new tank for my betta and keep one alone when I get one as i wouldnt be happy worrying about him being atttacked by other fish and if they are happy living alone then thats great