Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 
Bettasyl

Weird Illness?

Hope you can help. My sister's fish (Ziggy) seems to have a growth (looks like blood blister?) that comes out, and then disappears. It is not a parasite. Ziggy was taken to a pet store - they removed the growth, gave my sister Betta Revive, and now growth has grown back; he's now developed a cloudy eye, and is having trouble eating - mouth seems semi-paralyzed. Am attaching photo - hope this looks familiar to someone. Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bettasyl; 10-01-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Adding text
Bettasyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2 
LittleFish2012

Hmm. Not an expert on betta illness, but I do know that bumps like that are kinda hard to diagnose. It could be like a tumor- malignant or benign. The red color means it is likely infected with bacteria. Apparently a good treatment for bacterial woes is tetracycline. I've never used it, but I hear it works well.
Personally, I use maracyn plus.
That should also help clear up his eye.
Try to keep him relaxed and out of stress. Do you know how to use epsom salt? If he's really struggling, try 3 tsp/gal (dissolve it in the water first before adding it to his tank). You could even use less (1-2tsp/gal). That brought one of my fish back from the verge of death.
I've done my research and it IS safe to use epsom salt in addition to most if not all antibiotics, as well as betta revive. :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 
Bettasyl

Thank you, SO MUCH, LittleFish2012! Will definitely try the epsom salts, and will check with my sis on what medications she's currently using. I know they gave her Betta Revive at pet store. She also went to vet, and vet recommended antibiotics, but not certain which one. Will check with her. Thanks a mil!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #4 
LittleFish2012

Hey, no problem. Happy to help whenever I can. :)
I actually did extensive research (I'm trying to save a fish with advanced dropsy) on antibiotics. I found that kanamycin seemed to be the best (a.k.a. "Kanaplex"), but that wasn't anywhere I could find it. Maracyn seemed to be my second pick, and tetracyclin my third.
Where I am, stores like Petco and Petsmart have stopped selling antibiotics. They said something about the FDA and not being allowed to sell antibiotics because they are not veterinarians and they can only sell natural/herbal remedies, yada yada.....
I can't even get BettaREVIVE anymore.
Try those mom & pop stores. Or try online. Either way, you should be able to find something there.

Again, I hope that helps some. :)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 
Bettasyl

Thanks for anitbiotic info. LittleFish2012 - will forward info. to my sister. I bought my Betta Revive from Pet Smart. I hope they still carry it where I live, if not, will have to try internet.

I sure hope your fish (w/dropsy) gets well -I know he's being well cared for...as so does (s)he! :)
Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #6 
LittleFish2012

No problem and good luck! :)

Unfortunately for Charles (the sick one), he is not improving. Dropsy is deadly in 99% of all cases- the only way it's not deadly is if it's caught and treated very early. Charles was not caught early (note: Charles does not belong to me- he's a neighbor's fish...) and will likely not be the 1%. Even if a fish should bounce back, they don't completely come back.
Really, all I can do is ease his symptoms until he passes. I got the pineconing to stop, but not the bloated belly. :( Tis tragic, but I'll keep him comfortable.

That's off topic. Sorry. :) But take it easy. The Epsom salts work and I really think your fish will be fine.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 
Bettasyl

Oh...so sorry to hear about sweet Charlie. Very good of you to help. The fish I'm looking for help for is my sister's Betta - seems we're both helping another's fish. :) I just lost my Betta (Fynn) after 5 years. Very sad - think he just died of old age. He was always a happy healthy guy. Very hard when he passed.

I love the Epsom Salts tip - really appreciated it.