Betta Fish Forum banner

Will one extra pellet a day cause a shortened lifespan?

1K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  finnfinnfriend 
#1 ·
My betta is doing well, but he is fairly active and I would like him to be a little thicker. I am feeding him NLS pellets, 4 a day, but I'm thinking of upping it to 5 a day. Only problem is everyone talks about how dangerous overfeeding is... So will giving him an extra pellet a day cause any problems?

#2 ·
What I do is watch my fish's tummy. If you see that it's a little rounded after 3 pellets then I probably wouldnt give him more. 3 pellets is what i give my little guys because after that I see their little tummies start to round, but I know other betta keepers on this forum sometimes feed their babies more.

#3 ·
Well I use new life spectrum pellets and they are one of the smallest betta pellets out there...I'm just so afraid to feed my betta because of all the people saying horrible things about over feeding...But I just want to know if one extra pellet is over feeding...

#5 ·
It's not even rounded after 5 lol...but then again he hasn't starved to death after 9 months, so idk...I am so confused...I just want him to be well fed and live the healthiest life possible...

#7 ·
I just want to do everything PERFECT for him and his health so I don't want to under feed OR over feed him. Even one pellet...

#9 ·
I do fast him every Wednesday...I guess I won't worry too much...

#11 ·
My Bettas get around 5 - 10 NLS Betta Formula pellets a day, depending on the fish. Some are more active and therefore burn the food off more quickly. Don't be afraid of experimenting with the amount of food your Betta is fed. Unless you are feeding so much that it causes your Betta's stomach to be very sharply rounded then you should be safe. You want your Betta to have a softly rounded stomach, that is a sign that he or she is well fed.

#14 ·
Anyway, if you are concern about his weight then get him some rich protein food like frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp from Petsmart.

If I were you, I wouldn't feed him more than 3 at a time. People say it depends on the size. But I still doubt it because if you soak one pellet in water, its size increase by 2-3 times and a betta's stomach is only about the size of its eye.

#17 ·
How many pellets im supposed feed! Some people feed 2, some people feed 12....idk

#18 ·
It all depends on your fish's stomach. If he looks like he's bloated then you're feeding too much, but if he's just got a bit of a tummy its okay.

I feed Aqueon pellets to my guys most of the time.. My CT boy can only eat 3 otherwise he gets WAY fat. But i have VT male who I feed 8 - 12 pellets and he's fine. I feed mine daily.

Best thing I can tell you is to experiment. Give him that extra pellet and if he looks like he's too fat then go back to your normal amount.

#20 ·
Okay. Thank you everyone! But I have one more question...how long should it take for me to find out if 5 is the right amount?

#23 ·
So after looking through threads about feeding, it seems like 5-7 new life spectrum betta formula pelletes a day is a good standard. That is specifically for nls betta formula though, because they are so small

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.