Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #1 
johanna13

Confussed make betta?

I have one of my 29 gal tanks divided with a male beta on each side.
The one beta is building a bubble nest and seams to be obsessed with the male on the other side.

Now the male on the other side also seams obsessed to get on the side of the tank with that male beta fish also.
Up to now I have had no problem with my divider and I have hunted and can not find how this crowntail beta keeps getting into the other side .

Today I have scooped my crowntail out and into his side almost 7 times.
The strange thing is when I notice that both males are in the same side together there is no fighting????????
And the other male is building one heck of a bubble nest as I type this.

Is is possible that they dont know there both males?

Last edited by johanna13; 10-07-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: title is spelled wrong ..should say confussed male betta.
johanna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 
sainthogan

What kind of male is on the other side? Is it possible it's a female and not a male. My supposedly male betta that I bought from a pet store turned out to be female. So it could be that the other is a female.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3 
johanna13

If I take a photo of both of them would you be able to know? I assumed they were both males from the colors.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanna13 View Post
If I take a photo of both of them would you be able to know? I assumed they were both males from the colors.
you can usually tell by fin size and shape, as well as body form. if we saw pictures we could probably tell you in they're male or female.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #5 
sainthogan

The colors don't always tell you if they're male or female. I've seen some pretty vibrant colors. A picture will help, I'm not an expert at sexing bettas, but there are people on here who are.
I do know that you want to look for an egg spot on the one in question. It's a white spot between the ventral (front) fins and the anal fin. You would also want to look for vertical stripes known as breeding - these may be difficult to see depending on the coloring of your fish, a flashlight may help. However, as I've been told, sometimes young males will get an egg spot and stripes, so that is not always a foolproof way of figuring out the sex of your betta, but it will help steer you in the right direction.
Another thing you would want to look for is the size of the fins. Usually, but not always depending on the breed of fish, a male's fins will be longer and fuller.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #6 
johanna13

Hope you can see this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KN9...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #7 
homegrown terror

those are both definitely males.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #8 
johanna13

Then this is where I'm confused...why are they not fighting when there both on the same side? and why does my one Betta immediately go and work on his bubble nest with a passion when the crowntail Betta gets into his side of his tank?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #9 
TheCheese909

Do you want them to fight? Sometimes they dont fight right away..

It looks like they are jumping. Bettas are great jumpers and your water level looks like its quite high, you can try lowering it and it should keep them from jumping over.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #10 
johanna13

I dont want them to fight !!! I was just wondering why they acted as if they were male & female. and why my one Betta is passionately building his bubble nest when the other Betta gets in on his side.
if I lower the water level the filter seams to hit the water to strong... but I may have to lower the water to stop this, or figure a way to block that part of the divider better.

Last edited by johanna13; 10-08-2012 at 06:39 AM.