Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #251 
Ouch

Kithy, what are your Nitrate levels? Algae grows very easily normally, especially if you nitrates are at the high end of the goldfish comfort zone.

There really is nothing more nutritious for goldfish than algae. Having algae present ensures a healthy ecosystem.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #252 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
Kithy, what are your Nitrate levels? Algae grows very easily normally, especially if you nitrates are at the high end of the goldfish comfort zone.

There really is nothing more nutritious for goldfish than algae. Having algae present ensures a healthy ecosystem.
They were at 40ishppm but when I did a 15gallon change they dropped :< Last night they were at about 10-20ppm although I haven't checked it yet today.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #253 
FishyFishy89

I would imagine lots of over foods and lots/lots/lots of lighting should help. Maybe if you use ferts, maybe extra fert along with the above would work?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #254 
Kithy

It might, I've been careful because I am slightly over stocked as it is so I don't want to add in too much extra ammonia. But I'm not sure of what kind of light to get or if there is a "too bright". Lights are kind of expensive so I want to get good ones the first time around.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #255 
Ouch

40ppm is fairly high, you should have algae. If you find your nitrates high, always reduce them slowly. I've seen a lot of cases of nitrate shock and poisoning recently.

What is your set up?

Algae only needs low lighting. You could put a lamp by the tank, you should at least get brown algae then.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #256 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
40ppm is fairly high, you should have algae. If you find your nitrates high, always reduce them slowly. I've seen a lot of cases of nitrate shock and poisoning recently.

What is your set up?
3 goldies and one BN pleco. One filter atm but planning to add an additional one to bring the total up to about 700 gph. I mean, there is definitely algae as the pleco is eating something but she is a tiny little pleco.

The fish themselves seem just as happy as ever. I actually ended up changing the water because the nitrites and ammonia were a bit high.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #257 
Kithy

I am thinking of getting some brighter lights but at 20$ a light and I need two ._. So kinda stuck atm. There is a window in the room but the problem is the 20g with the betta is literally right in front of it so I'm not sure if it'll be okay for him to get so much light.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #258 
FishyFishy89

I wonder if goldies will eat moss balls?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #259 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I wonder if goldies will eat moss balls?
Mine would for sure xD They nom on my sword occasionally.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #260 
Ouch

What I would recommend is rather than a filter is you purchase a water pump, or pond pump (not air pump or bubbler). To oxygenate a goldfish tank you need heavy surface action, you'd need one about 500gph. If you have a lid on the tank remove it. This way your tank will be oxygenated and should grow algae no problem provided it's cycled.

If you have ammonia and nitrite, then what is your source of nitrate? Normally only see high nitrates in cycled tanks, unless it's in your tap water.