Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #301 
FishyFishy89

Those people never owned goldies. Goldies are like little doggies
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #302 
Kithy

Yes they are :D They're always begging and you can see in their faces how much they appreciate all you do for them. I swear, pets have to be some of the most rewarding things on the planet.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #303 
thekoimaiden

Happy New Years, goldfish lovers!

Olympia, I've never seen a full tank shot of your goldies! The tank looks great! And your substrate isn't nearly as dirty as mine. It has a tendency to grow brown algae on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I have a question about filtration for fancies....Is it best to get two adjustable filters and turn them down a bit as opposed to getting one filter and putting it on full blast?
I think the two filters would be better. While there may not the same volume of water moving through them, there will be greater overall surface area. I've also noticed that fancy goldfish tend to do better with less flow. My oldest goldfish (who is no longer with me :( ) was really really pushed around by my filters, so I started to baffle them. It really helped him move around the tank with greater ease.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #304 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You've seen it! It just changed! I replaced the pots with driftwood.. Because I found really good prices on giant driftwood in the big city. xD I realize I'll have to remove it once they get bigger to give them more room, but for now it's good! :D

I stirred the sand to get rid of algae. Hopefully this more thorough cleaning will help the nitrate problem. -sigh-
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #305 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Wow! Your tank is great Olimpia! How did you come up with the idea of keeping cichlids with them? I recall you saying they were bullheads, but I may be wrong.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #306 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Happy New Years, goldfish lovers!

Olympia, I've never seen a full tank shot of your goldies! The tank looks great! And your substrate isn't nearly as dirty as mine. It has a tendency to grow brown algae on it.

I think the two filters would be better. While there may not the same volume of water moving through them, there will be greater overall surface area. I've also noticed that fancy goldfish tend to do better with less flow. My oldest goldfish (who is no longer with me :( ) was really really pushed around by my filters, so I started to baffle them. It really helped him move around the tank with greater ease.
That's what I thought. Since they need so much filtration but can't have too much flow, I figured two filters are the best way to go...
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #307 
finnfinnfriend

Is there any longer-bodied breed of goldfish that I can keep a pair in a 55 gallon?
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #308 
Kithy

So maybe found a guy who will take the comet (wow was fast). He wants more than one and doesn't want to drive here but we're seeing if we can meet half way.

Wanted your opinions on his set up.
Quote~
It is green housed (heated lamp(240watts)during weather we have now) and 740 gallon per hour underwater pump with vegetable grow bed consist of multiporous medium gravels. The tank is 200 gallon and I have about 18 of 2 to 3 inch gold fish with one tadpole and one sucker fish.

It almost sounds over stocked but if he can keep it filtered, what do you think?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #309 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Is there any longer-bodied breed of goldfish that I can keep a pair in a 55 gallon?
In a 55 gal, I believe you can get 3-4 of the fancy goldies in there. You know, the pudgy adorable guys. Fancy or Fantails. Black Moors, Orandas and I *think* Ryukins tend to get larger than 6"
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #310 
Kithy

/sigh He says he'd rather not. Sad sad :<

The comet seems a little off today though, not his usual active self. He was fine yesterday. I'll be keeping an eye on him. I don't have anything big enough to really QT him so not sure what I'm gonna do. Wonder if I should try a couple of pet stores and see if they can take him/give him a home. So frustrated.