Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #391 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
OMG I'm so glad that I found this thread!!! I want to get a bubble eye goldfish. I've read that they actually do better as loners since their eyes are so delicate. I want to do the best that I can in taking care of this fish, so please let me know what I need to do that is abnormal from other goldfish.

I see that they grow from 6 to 8 inches in length...so will a 20 gallon be okay if it's just the one fish? People always say 10 gallons per extra goldfish....so could I even get away with 10 gallons if it's just the one goldfish? I plan to use sand as substrate. No decorations would be best so it doesn't poke it's eye sac, right?
most people do just bare-glass enclosures for bubble eyes...even sand particles can damage them. i've heard of tying silk handkerchiefs to the hood and letting them flow in the water for decoration, but those eyes are just SO delicate anything else might be a danger.

as for tank size, 20 gallons is a minimum for adult goldfish. you might get away with 10 for the first six months or so, but after that point you'll be doing so many water changes you'll throw up your hands, shout many, many words that can't be posted on a family-friendly forum, and shell out the $75 or so to get him that 20 gallon tank.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #392 
FishyFishy89

I should have heavy filtration too. I would recommend a 40-55 gallon HOB for that 20 gallon.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #393 
thekoimaiden

Think about it this way. Fancy golds get 6-8 inches. Put a ruler up against a 10 gal and mark with dry erase markers at the 1 in and 6 in marks. Now step back and look. Do you really think a fish that size would be happy in a tank that size?

Also remember that even though the eyes are delicate, goldfish are social creatures. They would rather be around other goldfish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #394 
Hadoken Kitty

Well I bought a 40 gallon today at PetCo....so that should house 3 bubble eyes right?

What type of filter do I need for this tank size? a 60 gallon filter?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #395 
thekoimaiden

A 40 gal is a great size tank! Although three goldfish in there would be pushing it a bit. If you don't mind the water changes, it would be doable, tho.

For a filter, I'd just say skip the HOB. I have two AQ 70's on my 55 gal and am looking to upgrade to a canister. Yes, it will be more expensive, but the media capacity is so much greater. They don't need to be cleaned nearly as often as HOB's, and you can have much greater flow control. This will be especially important for bubble eyes as a strong jet of water could hurt them.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #396 
Hadoken Kitty

Okay, so my 40 gallon that is bare with only the two bubble eyes? Only one canister or two? Can you link me an example of what you're talking about?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #397 
FishyFishy89

1 cansiter should do fine. Some sites recommend 10x flow rate. But 100gal flow rate for 40 gal tank would do just fine. If its a 40 long you maybe able to get 3 of them. But reg 40 would be best with 2 pudgy goldies.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #398 
thekoimaiden

Two canisters would be overkill on a tank like that. Very few tanks need two canisters as certain models of canisters can be made to handle up to 500 gal tanks. A single canister rated for 75 should do you just fine.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rena-722-Filstar-Canister-Filter/dp/B000260FX4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3G579J711W2X G&coliid=I1T2SG4TN0X1UG]Amazon.com: Rena 722 Filstar XP3 Canister Filter: Pet Supplies[/ame] This is a canister filter and is the one I'm considering to replace my two HOB's. I got tired of cleaning HOB's every week.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #399 
FishyFishy89

Yeah the canister I am getting is rated for 100 gal and the flow rate is 300gal. Going on my 75 btw
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #400 
Bombalurina

Could you do smooth river rocks and some live plants like java fern/moss for the bubbles, just to give them something to be around?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote