Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #81 
MaisyDawgThirteen

A 2.5 would be too small for a goldfish. :( A betta or some some snails or shrimp is all you can keep in a 2.5. The bulging eye ones are very particular and you have to be very careful with decorations so they don't burst the eye sacks. The minimum for fancy goldfish (like Olympia's and thekoimaiden's) is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and another 10 gallons for every goldfish after that. Slim-bodied goldfish (like littlebettafish's shubunkins and the "common" or "comet" goldfish many people keep in bowls) really do best in a pond since they get so large. Maybe she could try a different kind of betta? Or a different gender? Or make the tank into a natural planted tank with soil and live plants? I did this to one of my tanks, and it is very inexpensive. Since you already have the tank, you could get some topsoil ($4 for a large bag), use the gravel you already have, and some plants that don't need flourescent bulbs such as hornwort and water wistera ($4 for a bundle of each at petsmart). I got a bundle of wisteria, hornwort and moneywort and it was enough to fill a 5.5 gallon, so you should have more than enough.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #82 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

No 2.5 is way too small for goldfish just try one betta.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #83 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Donna View Post
I have a goldfish question. My daughter has kept bettas the last 4 years (she is 10 and inherited a betta from school in grade one)
Anyway her betta just died and she would like to try a goldfish. She has a 2.5gal tank (Aqueon mini-bow) with added heater. Could she keep one goldfish? Any breeds recommended? She likes the ones with the "bulging eyes"
Thanks for the info put.
I agree with what has been said. A 2.5 gal is simply too small for a goldfish. I have some goldfish that physically won't fit in a 2.5 gal. Most people don't know but a properly cared for goldfish can grow up to 10 inches long and live for over 10 years. If she really wants goldfish, tell her to save her money and buy a 40 gal starter kit. She could keep up to three fancy goldfish (like the ones with the bulging eyes--which are called telescopes) in there.

I know you see a lot of little tanks marketed at goldfish, but that's just what it is: marketing. Goldfish die in a short time in those tanks and perpetuate the myth that they only live a short amount of time. Your daughter could have a rather long-lived friend in a goldfish, but she has to go about it in the correct way.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #84 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep, they are quite high maintenance and demand attention. Hoping to take more photos tonight!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #85 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard 43 years and many over 20.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #86 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm expecting 10 years from mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #87 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is okay too.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #88 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Good to know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #89 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish the intelligence section is cool. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/fishfres...m/goldfish.htm this one is poorly written. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/414114.stm weird.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #90 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I have heard 43 years and many over 20.
Forty-three is the record, not the norm. The oldest koi on record was 220 years old. And some of the oldest humans recorded were around 115 years old. But that doesn't mean you should expect to live that long or to have your koi live that long. Average life span is very different from longest recorded life span.

The average life span of a properly cared for fancy goldfish is 10 to 15 years. The average lifespan of a properly cared for pond goldfish is 15 to 20. The reason for this discrepancy is the dormant winter months a pond goldfish would experience. The cold slows their growth rate and also their aging rate. Not to mention they generally have less problems than fancy goldfish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote